Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:38 PM   #21

daadeedum, as was said earlier, it is not really possible to make a judgement as towhich camera is the best,quality or otherwise, based on one image from each of them.

In this instance however, I think you just want to know if your camera is 'better' than your friends. Again, it is not the basis by which to tell the 'best' from two images but..........

.........in this case I think the best photo is from perhaps the camera that might not be considered the best. It is the older of the two, with slightly fewer pixels, but a couple of the settings didn't help either.

The best photo is the sharpest of the two, IMHO, which was taken with a shutter speed of 1/60sec compared to 1/15sec with the other camera. Also, it seems digital zoom was used with the poorer photo, which didn't help.

So, my humble opinion is, that the best photo is the second one, andthat was taken with a Konica Revio KD-400Z. It is sharper than the first photo, which was taken with a Canon Digital Ixus 50. As I said, probably due to the faster shutter speed and not using digital zoom.

It doesn't mean though, that the Konica actually is better than the Canon. That I don't know. It just means it took the better photo in this instance.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:46 PM   #22
Administrator

Out of curiosity, have you upgraded the firmwarein your KD-400z? I don't think this was ever released in the U.S., but others have used the firmware from Konica-Japan with no problems. It supports multiple languages still.

The latest version for the KD-400z is 1.55A. Of course, install any upgrades at your own risk.

It offers a number of improvements over the firmware that shipped with the camera.
Here are the instructions:

1. Download the BIN ( KD-400Z.BIN) for Version 1.55A. Here is the link:

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/support/d...5a/KD-400Z.BIN

2. Put the BIN file on an EMPTY SD card (format it with the camera menus, not the computer first, then copy the .bin file to the root directory of the Card, not one of the folders) . Then, remove the camera from the USB connection, after making sure the copy is completely finished (wait a minute first, to make sure it's not still writing the file).

To be safer, use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in your system tray before disconnecting your camera or card reader (to make sure all cached buffers from the operating system have flushed to media).

Make sure you are using the SD Card, and not a Memory Stick. I'd remove any memory stick from the camera first, just to make sure! If you're not usingPanasonic or Tohiba Secure Digital Card, I'd strongly suggest using the smaller card that shipped with the Camera.

Many third party cards are using the same components as Sandisk Standard SD cards, and older Sandisk SD cards had alot of problems in this Konica series (especially cards 256mb and larger). At one point, Konica-Japan had specific warnings that using a Sandisk SD Card in 256mb sizes could cause the camera to malfunction with errors (and I've seen a number of problem with Sandisk SD media with this model). They've removed the warning now, but still don't have Sandisk SD cards on the tested list.

I usually take the precaution of resetting a camera to factory defaults first, too when updating firmware (since a manufacturer can't have possibly tested all combinations of settings for firmware updates). Setup, Reset does this for you.

3. After unplugging your camera from the USB connection, power up your camera (open the lens cover).

4. When prompted "PUSH DEL KEY TO UPDATE" - press the DEL-key (trashcan).

5. After a while you are asked to turn the camera off (close the lens cover).

6. The new firmware is now installed and the BIN-file is automatically deleted from the SD-card.

Make SURE your battery is fully charged before you start the upgrade, and do not interrupt the update process (or you risk ruining the camera).

I know of multiple users that have updatedtheir firmware inKonica KD-400z, KD-410z and KD-500z models, using the firmware from Konica-Japan with no problems.

On the downside, Konica-Minolta may not fix itif something goes wrong. So, as always, perform any firmware upgrade at your own risk.

This firmware improves improves startup times, cycle times, focus accuracy, white balance, and more in the KD-400z.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:48 AM   #23

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
daadeedum, as was said earlier, it is not really possible to make a judgement as towhich camera is the best,quality or otherwise, based on one image from each of them.

In this instance however, I think you just want to know if your camera is 'better' than your friends. Again, it is not the basis by which to tell the 'best' from two images but..........

.........in this case I think the best photo is from perhaps the camera that might not be considered the best. It is the older of the two, with slightly fewer pixels, but a couple of the settings didn't help either.

The best photo is the sharpest of the two, IMHO, which was taken with a shutter speed of 1/60sec compared to 1/15sec with the other camera. Also, it seems digital zoom was used with the poorer photo, which didn't help.

So, my humble opinion is, that the best photo is the second one, andthat was taken with a Konica Revio KD-400Z. It is sharper than the first photo, which was taken with a Canon Digital Ixus 50. As I said, probably due to the faster shutter speed and not using digital zoom.

It doesn't mean though, that the Konica actually is better than the Canon. That I don't know. It just means it took the better photo in this instance.

Regards,

Stevekin.

nope i wasn't intending to see if my camera was better than my friend's. was just wondering if i shld get a ixus 50 if i'm upgrading. so just comparing the photos. how did u even know the 2 cameras were kd400z and ixus 50 ?
daadeedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:54 AM   #24

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you upgraded the firmwarein your KD-400z? I don't think this was ever released in the U.S., but others have used the firmware from Konica-Japan with no problems. It supports multiple languages still.

The latest version for the KD-400z is 1.55A. Of course, install any upgrades at your own risk.

It offers a number of improvements over the firmware that shipped with the camera.

2. Put the BIN file on an EMPTY SD card (format it with the camera menus, not the computer first, then copy the .bin file to the root directory of the Card, not one of the folders) . Then, remove the camera from the USB connection, after making sure the copy is completely finished (wait a minute first, to make sure it's not still writing the file).

To be safer, use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in your system tray before disconnecting your camera or card reader (to make sure all cached buffers from the operating system have flushed to media).

Make sure you are using the SD Card, and not a Memory Stick. I'd remove any memory stick from the camera first, just to make sure! If you're not usingPanasonic or Tohiba Secure Digital Card, I'd strongly suggest using the smaller card that shipped with the Camera.

Many third party cards are using the same components as Sandisk Standard SD cards, and older Sandisk SD cards had alot of problems in this Konica series (especially cards 256mb and larger). At one point, Konica-Japan had specific warnings that using a Sandisk SD Card in 256mb sizes could cause the camera to malfunction with errors (and I've seen a number of problem with Sandisk SD media with this model). They've removed the warning now, but still don't have Sandisk SD cards on the tested list.

I usually take the precaution of resetting a camera to factory defaults first, too when updating firmware (since a manufacturer can't have possibly tested all combinations of settings for firmware updates). Setup, Reset does this for you.

3. After unplugging your camera from the USB connection, power up your camera (open the lens cover).

6. The new firmware is now installed and the BIN-file is automatically deleted from the SD-card.

Make SURE your battery is fully charged before you start the upgrade, and do not interrupt the update process (or you risk ruining the camera).

I know of multiple users that have updatedtheir firmware inKonica KD-400z, KD-410z and KD-500z models, using the firmware from Konica-Japan with no problems.

On the downside, Konica-Minolta may not fix itif something goes wrong. So, as always, perform any firmware upgrade at your own risk.

This firmware improves improves startup times, cycle times, focus accuracy, white balance, and more in the KD-400z.

how do i check the firmware of my camera now ? i've gotten it almost 2 yrs ago. and what does the new firmware improves ? anywhere that i can read up abt it ? i don't want to risk screwing up my camera
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:54 AM   #25

JimC wrote:
Quote:

how do i check the firmware of my camera now ? i've gotten it almost 2 yrs ago. and what does the new firmware improves ? anywhere that i can read up abt it ? i don't want to risk screwing up my camera
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:15 AM   #26

daadeedum wrote:
Quote:
Not sure how to check the firmware version of your camera, but as you don't know yourself, the likelihood is that you haven't updated it. The version JimC links to was released on 23rd May 2003.

As long as you follow JimC's instructions to the letter there shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to read through them first, in fact print it off to refer to.

Read JimC's last sentence to see what the latest firmware upgrade does.

All image files contain Exif data. This is information about when the photo was taken along with the settings the camera used. And the name of the camera too.

I use an Exif reader program called Opanda IExif 2. Seem to recall this one was recommended by JimC. Thanks Jim.

It is free and enables you to read the Exif information of any file on your hard drive and also gives the facility to right click on an image in your browser, ( Internet Explorer or Firefox), and choose to view the exif . For example, I looked at the Exif of the two images you posted just by right clicking and choosing the option.

Get it here, http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

If you do not wish to use a program like this, then you can save an image file to your hard drive, then right click and choose properties, click on Summary, then choose Advanced. This gives you quite a bit of info about the file including the camera model. This can all be helpful when you wish tosee why some photos didn't come out as well as you hoped. You can check the settings and try dfferent ones in the same situation. Assuming you have an element of manual controls on your camera.

If you can not see any information, the cause is probably that the image was edited with software that doesn't support Exif, and consequently when a file is saved it is stripped of this info. Or the owner may have deliberately removed this information.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:45 AM   #27
Administrator

daadeedum wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how you can check the firmware with your version. With newer firmware versions youcan see it whengoinginto the SETUP menu choice, then pressing the DISPLAY button while at the Setup menu choicesscreen.

I don't believe that any of the KD-400z cameras shipped with firmware 1.50a or greater. So, if you haven't updated it, it's older firmware.

Also, AFAIK, this firmware was never made available for download outside of Konica-Japan.

As far as what it fixes, the Japanese Information Pages are still there. Most of the improvements came a few releases ago with 1.50a (but they incremented the version numbers for consistency between products in the series to 1.55a). Others have translated these pages from Japanese in the past.

Here is an old news blurp on 1.50a:

http://www.dcviews.com/press/konica_firmware_15.htm

Here isthe Japanese page on it:

Konica Japan Firmware Information Page

All of the models in this series are similar (KD-310z, KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-500z, KD-510z; Minolta G500, G600). Same tough construction, control layout, menu designs, lens, etc. Features differ, image processing algorithms differ, sensors differ, but that's about it (and you can get better image processing algorithms with the newer firmware for your model).

In all cases where firmware has been released in more than one region (Japan, US, Europe), the firmware itself has been identical, and installed on all models in the same manner. But, the firmware for the KD-400z was never released outside of Japan.

I've seen others report that it works fine for the KD-400z. If it were mine, I'd update it. I've owned the KD-510z since July 2003, and I've updated my firmware multiple times with no problems. In fact, I've never seen anyone report a failure during a firmware update with a KD series camera. I'd still excercise caution (i.e., don't close the cover during an update until prompted, etc.), since things do go wrong with updates from time to time.

The firmware for all models in this series supports multiple languages, too. The language set prior to the update remains set, but you can change it later if desired.

If my instructions aren't clear enough, look at the firmware update instructions for the KD-410z. They did release the firmware for this model outside of Japan.

The improvements and version numbers are different in these instructions (and don't try to download KD-410z firmware on a KD-400z).

But, if you substitute the KD-400z.BIN file you download in my instructions, for the KD-410z in the following instructions, the procedure is the same. Download the Readme file (it's a .pdf file). Do not use the the firmware from here (it's only for the KD-410z, not your KD-400z). This is only to give you a better idea of how it works:

Firmware Update Procedure Links (download the first file only).

Use this link to download the KD-400z.BIN file for your camera:

Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:46 PM   #28

daadeedum wrote:
Quote:
Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
daadeedum, as was said earlier, it is not really possible to make a judgement as to*which camera is the best,*quality or otherwise, based on one image from each of them.

.........*in this case I think the best photo is from perhaps the camera that might not be considered the best. It is the older of the two, with slightly fewer pixels, but a couple of the settings didn't help either.

So, my humble opinion is, that the best photo is the second one, and*that was taken with a Konica Revio KD-400Z. It is sharper than the first photo, which was taken with a Canon Digital Ixus 50. As I said, probably due to the faster shutter speed and not using digital zoom.

Regards,

Stevekin.

nope i wasn't intending to see if my camera was better than my friend's. was just wondering if i shld get a ixus 50 if i'm upgrading. so just comparing the photos. how did u even know the 2 cameras were kd400z and ixus 50 ?
i have upgrated firmware of my kd-400z. now the main is 1.55a and the bios version is still 1.04a. how can i upgrade bios firmware? i need to add italian language on the camera's mený. Help!!!
jorgovojagis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:04 PM   #29
Administrator

jorgovojagis

The bios version won't change in these little Konicas after a firmware upgrade, and Italian is not an available language.

You can only choose between Japanese, English, French and German on a KD-510z (I just looked at the menus on one), and it's an even newer model compared to your KD-400z). AFAIK, they've never had Italian as an option on these little Konica cameras.