Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:19 PM   #1

Canon Powershot A400 3.2MP Digital Camera - $179.99 CDN
Canon PowerShot A510 3.3MP Digital Camera - $269.99 CDN
Canon PowerShot SD200 3.2MP Digital Camera - $319.99 CDN

I'm looking for a basic digital camera. A 3.2 - 4.0 MP is fine for my basic picture needs. Looking for good value. I don't see too many big differences between all of these, and i dont know if they are material enough to warrent a higher price.

I was thinking of buying the A400, and getting a AA nimh charger, and that should do for my needs, but wanted opinions when compared to the other models at those prices.

The SD200 seems like a good deal, but I've heard bad things about the fragile LCD.
I'm leaving for a trip on tuesday, so i need to buy one asap.

Looking for some opinions....Thanks in advance!
freshprince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

I had considered all 3 models when I was purchasing a camera for my wife. For value the A510 would be the best if that is your only consideration. However, an A510 might be too bulky to fit comfortably in your shirt pocket or even pants pocket. There is no value in any item that you don't use. You need to supply info on how you plan to use it and how you plan to use the photos that you take.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:33 PM   #3

Will be used for some pictures in travel - africa. Possbily some home/picnic/family pics when i get back. Don't use it often either.

Will send by email and process them the standard size.

I don't want bad quality pics, minimum should be what i would get with an average film camera.
freshprince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:13 PM   #4

Get the Canon A510. I had only considered the SD200 because I could slip it into my shirt pocket. The A400 is just too limited. The A510 is a great all around camera. I had the prior model, the A75. Recommend you try the A510 for size if size is a consideration.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote