Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:33 PM   #1

In the past used a Nikon F2 Fotomic, Apple QuickTake, Nikon Coolpix 950. Prefer the control, photo quality of the F2, but tired of carrying around so many lenses, etc., and the cost of processing. Like the Coolpix, but at 2 Mp and 3x optical, it has its limits. Interested in a new camera: Foto quality of primary importance, but will I be losing anything if I buy the seemingly all-purpose 8mp 10x 8800 rather than a D70 for which I would have to pay a lot more andf purchase a second lens? (Camera use includes wildlife shots, vacation, baby). How much real lag is there in 8800 when it comes to turning it on and the time between shots.especially when using a hi-mp setting?
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:04 PM   #2
Administrator

couch wrote:
Quote:
In the past used a Nikon F2 Fotomic, Apple QuickTake, Nikon Coolpix 950. Prefer the control, photo quality of the F2, but tired of carrying around so many lenses, etc., and the cost of processing. Like the Coolpix, but at 2 Mp and 3x optical, it has its limits. Interested in a new camera: Foto quality of primary importance, but will I be losing anything if I buy the seemingly all-purpose 8mp 10x 8800 rather than a D70 for which I would have to pay a lot more andf purchase a second lens? (Camera use includes wildlife shots, vacation, baby). How much real lag is there in 8800 when it comes to turning it on and the time between shots.especially when using a hi-mp setting?
You'll find performance related information (Startup Times, Autofocus Speed/Reliability, Cycle tmes between photos, etc.) in the Conclusion Section of this camera's review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...n8800_pg6.html

There are a number of differences between a camera like the D70 versus a Prosumer model.

The DSLR (D70) is going to run circles around a model like the 8800 from a performance perspective (AF Speed and reliability, startup times, cycle times between photos, etc.). It's also going to be much more usable if higher ISO speeds are needed (noise at anything muchabove ISO 100becomes noticable in models using the Sony 8MP 2/3" CCD, as used in Prosumer models like the Nikon 8800).

Also, you can find lenses that will be much brighter at longer focal lengths for a DSLR (the Nikon 8800has a maximum available aperture of f/5.2 at full zoom).

Of course, lens selection impacts size, weight and cost with a DSLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote