Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

A few years ago I switched from film to digital so I wouldn't have so much gear to pack around. I'm not as young as I used to be and hiking with all the gear was getting to be a bit of a load. Started with an Olympus 2100UZ (really liked that one except on larger prints), went to a Panasonic FZ10 (can't seem to get a really sharp picture - leaves, details always soft or non-existant) and have been considering going to DSLR if I can talk myself into carrying gear again. While I like the all in one package of the 'prosumer' lines the small sensor seems to be a problem from a noise and detail standpoint.? From what I beleve I understand the larger sensor on a DSLR will give more detail and better chance of a clean picture. On the Oly and certainly with the FZ10 any attempt to use anything but the lowest ISO setting results in grain/noise in the picture. Especially with the FZ10 all the pictures seem to have 'fuzzy' edges to the small detail areas such as leaves in a scenic. And, most of what I like to shoot is wildlife and scenics. My wildlife rarely comes out in broad daylight so not being able to use higher iso to get faster shutter speeds without introducing noise is a real drag. From what I've read I should expect to process pictures in a photoshop like program but I have to do this now with the few 'keepers' that I get.
Those are a few of the issues that have me curious about the DSLR cameras. Currently I'm researching the Nikon D70(s) since I have some nikon lenses, and the Canon 20D as possibilities. so finally my question - when a 'kit' lense package is described, they spec like an 18-55mm lense with the Canon. Is this 18-55 after the mulitplier is applied, or is it more like 28.8-88mm lense when on the digital body. And any opinions/suggestions on the DSLR subject are appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
l_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

yes, you will have a much larger range of useable ISO's with today's crop of dslrs.. with my 20d i am able to get noise free images to ISO 800.. 1600 is still good with some noise in shadow.. 3200 is getting some noise throughout but is still an entirely useable image when there are no other options..

all lenses are marked before the conversion factor.. so the 18-55 is really a 28-88ish on a 20d or 350d..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:37 AM   #3

:-)Canon 20D is a very good DSLR. When you switch from prosumer to DSLR, you got used to their dim color. Almost all the photos from DSLRhas to be adjusted by sofyware then you can get a perfect clear colorful pictures. Yes Olympus E series, Minolta 7D and Fuji s3 pro can get goodphotoswithout software modification. DSLR photo have better quality in detail and low noise, but the photo quality compared to slide still have a long way to go.:blah:
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Super Moderator

the s3pro would be the only one i would use the images straight out of the camera from its film simulation mode.. the E-series and the 7d are in the same boat as the 20d and will need some post-processing..

i am not even going to touch the film vs digital topic.. not at all..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote