Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:23 PM   #1

Hi:

I'm new to the forums, and not much at all a photographer. However, I don't care to take pictures that just look like snapshots. After purchasing a c8080 recently, I realized I need something to take much better indoor shots. I also like taking pictures of my baby boy who runs all over the place, soa quick-responding camera is necessary. My only thought is to also obtain a DSLR for those situations. I also hear it would be a good thing if I ever want to take pictures at concerts.

So, would it be a waste to own both a c8080 as well as a DSLR? I rarely take landscape shots since there's really nothing like that to take pictures of in the suburbs. The things that appealed to me about the c8080 are the very fast boot-up time, the high quality body, how configurable it is, and the amazing image quality. If I could just get all of that and excellent response time in low light, it would be the only camera I'd probably need again.

That being said, could I just replace it with a DSLR and sell the c8080, or would I need to keep the c8080 around for certain things a DSLR might not be "equipped" to do (if there is such a thing)

Thanks,

jenikat
jenikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

total overlap. A better combo would be a superzoom and a DSLR.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:25 PM   #3

Or a subcompact for informal snapshooting, when you don't want to lug around the bulk of a dslr....
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:18 AM   #4

An SLR with a good fast lens would do much better in low light, but it would cost a pretty penny.

A Fuji FinePix F10 would do well in low light and have a short shutter lag, but has few manual controls and just a 3X optical zoom, enough for around the house but not enough if you don't have really good concert tickets.

I echo Phil; a C8080 would be much easier to lug around than most SLR's with the requisite lenses.

For a "not much at all a photographer" you have a very nice camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5

robbo wrote:
Quote:
For a "not much at all a photographer" you have a very nice camera.
Quote:
Well... what I mean by that is that I'm far from professional, but I do have a strong interest in photography, yet have no formal or even informal training to further support it. I am probably going to skip on putting any money into a less functional P&S as I've been there and done that and don't care to go back. The reason I think I might want to go with a DSLR is because I will eventually want to take advantage of all the capabilities, and take more "serious amateur" type shots in the future. Plus, I think portraits will turn out much better with one as well. Guess I'll start saving up my pennies so I can get both a DSLR and the necessary lenses and accessories. Right now I have the Nikon n75 with a lens that might work if I get the D70, but something turned me off from getting that one over the new Rebel XT. I honestly don't mind lugging around a large camera, since I'm pretty used to carrying the n75 everywhere, but having something much more compact with all the fancy features I want out of a camerawould be refreshing... not a necessity though.
jenikat is offline   Reply With Quote