Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:08 PM   #1

Has anybody used the Canon S2 IS camera, or seen any reviews on it yet?

I have been looking at the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 for a while, but have been holding off until I could see how Canon's S2 IS performed.

Any feedback on which one may be better? I like Canon's movie mode better than the Panasonic, but I'm not willing to sacrifice still picture image quality for the video. I'd like a good camera with long zoom that provides great picture quality with some creative capability...but I'm not ready to go to the expense of a DSLR.

thanks...
nbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:41 PM   #2

I have the S2 and love it but I'm much too amateur a photographer to give youa detailed reviewon it. Here's a review on it http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml and if you want to see a lot of pics from all kinds of people who own it go here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1010 Do a search for canon s2 and you'll get a ton of posts (a lot of them include pics)
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:26 AM   #3

Thanks for those links...some great info there to help me with my decision.

One of the things I've consistenly heard regarding the Panasonic FZ20 is how remarkable the lens is and how good the quality of the pictures are...but the FZ20 has a bit higher than usual noise levels and the video mode isn't exactly spectacular.

What I was hoping for with the Canon S2 is photographic quality that is comparable to the FZ20, with the much better video mode...making it a more versatile camera overall.

From what I read in the reviews, it sounds like both cameras offer very good image quality...so it would seem that a choice has to be made between the video mode and versatility of the S2 versus the F2.8 Leica lens, manual focus ring and hot shoe on the FZ20.
nbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote