Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1

From all the information I could gather, I'm considering purchasing either of these two cameras ... I'm not entirely sure one is better than the other though, any opinions?

I'm coming from a purely point & shoot background but interested in purchasing a dslr in the future, would like to get a feel of manual options before investing in a dslr -- and am currently looking for a camera that is easy to use for fast quick shots but offer options to ease into learning to use a dslr. Buget is around $500-600.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
appleny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:16 PM   #2

appleny wrote:
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure one is better than the other though, any opinions?
I don't believe that one can make that kind of determination, since these cameras come from different categories. One can be better than the other in certain situations, so determining which is better is dependant on what you are trying to do with a camera.

If you think that you will be getting a dslr, then it doesn't make sense to get a G6 or FZ. Just buy a dslr, use it on auto at first, then learn the rest as you go. If you just have to have a smaller camera, why not get something that will complement a dslr, rather than nearly duplicating one? Get something that is small and yet still has manual controls, and use it when you don't want to lug around a dslr. It's nice to have a pocketable camera that you can easily keep with you, at all times if you want....

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:04 PM   #3

Thanks for you input -- I had never actually though about just getting a dslr and setting on auto -- but I guess I wanted something close to dslr but not as complicated or heavy -- in case I am deterred from the idea.

But, thanks -- definitely more to think about.
appleny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:57 PM   #4

Both are highly regarded P&S cameras.

Neither will fit in your pocket, but the G6 might fit in a roomy jacket pocket -- the FZ20 won't.

The FZ20 has the advantage of the 12x optical zoom, and the 2.8 aperture can be used through the entire range.

The G6 is known for its considerable image clarity.
The G6 also has a swivel & twist LCD, which you won't find on the FZ20. I think these are great, but you won't find them on a DSLR (at least not yet), so you might not want to get used to it if you are planning to upgrade to a DSLR anytime soon.

There are other minor differences and trade-offs,but many similarities between the two. I'd suggest going to a camera store (Circuit City, for example) and hold each one in your hands. See what "feels" right to you.

Best,
citymars is offline   Reply With Quote