Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:38 PM   #1

Pricewise the Dimage has a $50.00 mail in rebate which ends at the end of this month.

What would you suggest based on image quality, low light quality etc.

Going to be in Europe for 3 months. Want the best possible pictures for this once in a lifetime trip.

Thanks,
Andrew
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2

You may take a look at the Fuji S5100 too ...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:27 PM   #3

Hi: For about the same price, check out the Olympus C770 over the KM Z2. The Oly has6 resolution settings vs only4 with the Z2; closer macro focusing; the abiltity to shoot uncompressed TIFF photos when desired vs JPEG only with the Z2; and weighs less so it's easier to carry around on your vacation.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021213olyc770.asp

Have fun in Europe.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:55 PM   #4

What is the difference between the 765 and 770?

And what exactly is a TIFF picture(camera newb here)? And how does it compare to JPEG?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:29 PM   #5

SGRHewitt wrote:
Quote:
What is the difference between the 765 and 770?

And what exactly is a TIFF picture(camera newb here)? And how does it compare to JPEG?
They are very similiar cameras. Themain differences of the C770 is the stronger flash, and the ability to shoot MPEG-4 movies at 30 fps with audio (which uses less storage space at better quality), a hot shoe for attaching an external flash if desired, and slightly faster write times. However, they both have the same excellent lens, and photos should be about equal. And the C765 is cheaper: i.e. Best Buy is $360 for the C770 and $285 for the C765.

I mainly use a C8080, but when I need a long telephoto,my old C740 is what I use; it still makes great photos.

Check out the following reviews, they cover the differences. Both are good cameras.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C770/C77A.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C765/C765A.HTM

(Uncompressed files are are important only if you do a lot of post-processing in your computer. If you are not familiar with RAW or TIFF files, don't sweat it. A high resolution JPEG will make a great print in 99% of the cases. RAW or TIFF files allow a high degree of computer processing by software, especially beneficial for very large prints.)

While I prefer my Olympus cameras, also look at the Fuji S5100. It is also a long zoom that I have used some, and it handles very well. I think either the Oly or the Fuji would be a better choice than the KM.

But again, we all have our personal perferences and opinions. The good news is that digicams are so much improved over even 5 years ago. There is very few "bad" digicams out there today.

Anyway, good luck in your hunt for a digicam.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote