Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:04 PM   #1

I'm leaving for a two-week trip to Turkey next week so I need to make a decision by the end of today as to what digital camera to buy.

I think I've pretty much settled on the A510, but I'm wavering because of all the complaints I've heard about the lag in recycle time when using flash. I have to say, thatis one of the things that annoys me the most about digital cams. But does the smaller size and lightness outweigh this con if I were to compare to buying the harder to find A75?

I've also heard that the camera doesn't take pictures well in low light. I know most digital cameras have issues with that, but it seems that the a510 may have more trouble relative to other competing cameras. Anyone know if it'd be worth buying the add-on flash to remedy this?

Or does anyone have recommendations for a similar but better camera? I'd like something with manual optionswith whichI can continue to develop my amateur photography skills but is also portable and good for taking casual snapshots.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

janet813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:28 PM   #2

I'm still happy with mine. When I'm feeling "photographic" I just carry it in my pocket, and that's one thing I could never have done with the A75. Althought the A75 definitely has superior flash recycle time and is better at focusing in very low light conditions, it turns out that I don't take that many flash shots anyway, and the low light focusing limitation hasn't been a problem for me either. (I frequently leave the flash turned off, as I have found that most of my shots look much better in natural light anyway, and when I do use the flash I often turn it down to 1/3 or 2/3 rather than leaving it at full strength.)

You mentioned buying the external flash unit as a possible solution, but from what I have seen a weak flash is not the problem. If anything, the flash is a bit too strong sometimes. The issue is that the A510 can't always find the focus in low light when there's not enough contrast on the subject matter, if the subject is more than 3 or 4 feet away. I think it's due to the focus-assist lamp being weaker than it ought to be.

I believe that both problems are directly related to the power-savings design that allowed Canon to make this into a decent 2AA-battery camera. If they'd had 4 AA's to work with they wouldn't have had to throttle down certain features, but then we'd have a bigger, clunkier camera, wouldn't we?

For me, the light weight and the smaller form-factor outweigh the flash and low-light limitations, especially for a camera in this price range. And there's no denying that the A510 takes great pictures! Of course, I do most of my shooting outdoors in natural light. Actually, I find that the A510 can still manage to find a focus most of the time in dim indoors situations, unless things are really dim and the subject is out of reach of the focus-assist lamp. Of course, if you are planning to do a lot of low-light indoors photography, I would suggest you look at some other cameras and perhaps spend a little more.
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

Hi Daniel,

Thanks so much for your informative comments. I just placed an order for the A510, so I have my fingers crossed that it'll work out!

Janet
janet813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:20 PM   #4

You made a good choice. The PowerShot line is excellent in terms of image quality and color reproduction. Recharging the flash time is probably hurt by the 2 AA batteries, as mentioned. As for everything else, make your own decision once you've got the camera and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. One thing the Canon has that many of it's competitors don't is the ability to go to full manual control-- which will help you a lot to get night shots, etc.once you've mastered it.
S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote