Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:27 PM   #1

I like to do alot of night photography and currently that means carrying alot of light sources with me wherever I hike. The shots i'm interested in taking are generally lit only in the beginning with moonlight, out away from streetlights and generally only with the improvised lighting of my car headlights or flashlights. I was reading about the features like Nightshot and Night Framing on the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 and wondered if there were any cameras similar out on the market right now. Disreguarding price tags, i'm not looking for an SLR because I don't want to deal with carrying extra lenses and would prefer something in the 3-6 megapixel range, but i'm really open to hearing about any suitable cameras. Anyone who knows of any models would be much appreciated for their advice, thanks!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:36 PM   #2

The Fuji F10 might be the camera for you. Check the discussion of it in the Fuji forum.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:09 AM   #3

I read over some of the discussions, i'm not actually seeing where it says it's a good night time camera...
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:41 AM   #4

Well, it depends if by night shot you mean a shot where you use a tripod and take in picture a static target, then many cameras suit your needs, you just need one which allows u to set the shutter speed, at least up to 15 seconds.

Now if you want to capture living objects and reduce the possibility of blur to a maximum and that you don't want to go the dSLR route, then the only choice at the moment is the F10... Not because its a great night time camera, but because it has the most useable ISO 800 and 1600 which enable to reduce the shutter speed and thus take relatively good low light shots. In other words, its the best camera for low light photography currently on the market.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5

By all accounts, the F10 is a great low-light camera, but I don't think its low light capability extends all the way down to moonlight. For that, I think you'll need a tripod and a camera with full manual control, including an extended range of slow shutter speeds.

I have no experience with Sony cameras, but the current F828 has the Nightshot IR and NightFraming features you mentioned, as well as Hologram AF Illumination. Shutter speed goes as low as 30 seconds. It might be worth your time to check some reviews of this camera, or if it's too expensive, look for used F707s or F717s.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:52 PM   #6

I have a Sony 828 and had a 707 before it. The nightshot feature is excellent, my main reason for having the cameras. The image is green, but easily dealt with in Photoshop and the quality is very much like Tri-x film exposed at 1600 asa - very grainy, maybe a bit softer.*
steve collins is offline   Reply With Quote