Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:29 PM   #1

I currently own a Canon G3 (4MP, uses CF cards). I am going to Central America for 4 months, at least one of which will be spent living in hostels. I want to buy a smaller/lighter digital camera, and 4MP is fine. I've been looking at the SD300 and the S410, both are 4MP, 3X optical. The SD300 uses SD cards and a rechargeable NB-4L Lith battery, is a bit smaller/lighter, has a 2.0'' screen, DIGIC II processor, a few more shooting modes, 1/1500 shutter speed, and a UA lens; costs about $300 where I'd buy it. The S410 uses CF I cards and a rechargeable NB-1LH Lith battery, has a 1.5'' screen, DIGIC I processor, and 1/2000 shutter speed; costs about $230. I have a 32 MB CF card for my current camera, so either way I'll have to buy a new, larger card. I am wondering whether I should go for the S410 so that I can use the cards interchangably between my 2 cameras or whether I should go for the SD300, which seems a bit nicer (and I think SD cards are a bit cheaper?).
In general - should I be concerned about humidity harming my camera considering where I'm going?
I would really appreciate any advice. Also, I am not necessarily only willing to consider Canon, but I have been pleased with the quality of my G3, which is why I zeroed in on these two models. THANKS!!
gator4ever07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:41 PM   #2

I think you should go with the SD300. The cards may not be interchangeable, but I don't see why you would need them to be(seems like an inconvienience to always have to remember to change the memory card from one camera to another). The SD 300 is small fast and lightweight, perfect for the times when you don't have the G3. The S410 is also quite a bit larger and heavier. For the humidity, I don't know much about that, but if you are going from humid to non humid, put your camera in an airtight bag, so the humidity wont condense to water and harm the cmaera.
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 2:45 PM   #3

thanks so much for the response. i didn't think about having to remember to move the card and such - it's a good point.

someone on another forum suggested i consider the Fuji F10...any thoughts?
gator4ever07 is offline   Reply With Quote