Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:18 PM   #1

It's hard for me to make a decision whether I should buy EOS-20Dor EOS-350D. I love photography. It seems that there isn't much difference between the two types of camera, apart from its price and some function. Is EOS-350D better than EOS20D? Which one to you recommend? Thanks.
miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the differences are mainly in useability and build.. the 20d has the advantage in that it is an alloy frame which can take a little more abuse.. it also has a little more user friendly layout, i.e. more dedicated buttons for ISO/drive/etc.. image quality will be very similar..

that said, the 350d is the better value.. i would recommend getting this one and with money saved, buy yourself a nice lens.. for example you can get the 350d kit with 17-85 IS (image stabilized) lens for less than the 20d with the cheaper and inferior 18-55 kit lens..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:14 AM   #3
Super Moderator

The quality of the photographs will be essentially identical between the two cameras.

Having said that the 20D is much more solidly built, has more features and will last you longer.

Is it worth the difference in price? That depends on whether the extra features are worth the money to you. People llike to pretend there is some magical thing called value-for-money but there isn't; there is just a demand curve and a price. If you're willing to stump up the cash then it is worth it, if you're not then it's not.

When I bought my 20D the 350D wasn't available. If I had to make the choice now I'd probably buy the 20D again, but that is because I have the budget to get the 20D and all the lenses I wanted.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:29 AM   #4

The 20D is a better camera than the 350D. The fast 5 frames per second, the large buffer makes it a great camera for actions shots. The excellent performance in higher ISO range make it great for low light or indoor photography. The instant on will provide you the opportunity to catch those spur of the moment shots. The 20D is the leader of the class in DSLRs that are outside the "Proffessional" DSLR line. It is the leader of the pack. I own it. I love it. I recommend it whole heartly.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:56 AM   #5

Thank you very much for the recommendation. But I've got one more question. As far as the durability is concerned, Ihave my doubts about the engineering plastic. Anyway, what I need is a one that could last for years. I know the inner structure of EOS-350D is mainly engineering plastic, according to the informationprovided by Steve. Is it strong enough? What about EOS-20D? I couldn't find the required information about its inner construction else where. Thanks!
miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:45 AM   #6

The 20D has a metal body and is a solid construction.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:25 PM   #7

Honestly I've been considering the same thing, I'm not too sure which one of the 2 to choose,

If i want to capture more fast action shots with the 20d be a better choice?

thank-you
raymond
rwong2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:35 AM   #8

Raymond

Both cameras can capture fast action shots. The 20D is much faster and has a larger buffer to store more burst shots.

Phil

Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:14 AM   #9

Hi Phil ,

thank-you for the response

I'm currently using the G5 and it's a pretty nice camera for my to play with, with many options and features

but I'm considering a DSLR for more serious(fun) photography and just having a hard time choosing between those 2, another option I might have is the Konica Minolta 7d I believe with the anti shake system built in (reason I'm considering this is I might be able to get a discount from work, hopefully a significant one but i'll have to wait for the price list)

anyways getting a dslr for something a bit more serious then getting a s500 for snapshots and something easier and more 'convenient' to carry around and whip out for the quick snapshot when necessary,

oh another topic/area i'm intersted in is getting a IS USM lens for the DSLR body... any links,threads suggestions I should read up on, just want to do a bit of research before I make this purchase,

thank-you
Raymond
rwong2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:23 PM   #10

Richard

Remember that anitshake or IS (image stablization) will not compensate for a subject that is moving. It only adjust for the photographers ability to hold then camera steady while taking a shot. Another good resource for information on cameras is www.dpreview.com Look in the forums for the camera or lens section.