Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1

Lately I have been thinking of taking up photography as a hobby. I have done tons of research and I am totally lost as for what camera to buy. Most of it has been done on Ken Rockwell's site (kenrockwell.com) and it seems like he thinks that the best bet would be the Casio EX-S100. According to what he says it seems perfect but I just want to see what other people think.

I'm really interested in learning about "artsy" photography so I would like a camera that would have automatic but also full manual controls as I would slowly be able to do more as I learn. Other then that, my only other criteria is my budget which is around $200.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks so much.
fLthMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2

The only camera I can think of in your price range that has full manual controls is the Canon A510. Keep in mind however that the manual focus does not work in the classical sense (turning the lens barrel), but works via a controller button on the back of the camera.

The Fuji E500 has manual exposure controls, and can be had in your price range. However, I do not know if it has manual focus control.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.I looked up both cameras you mentioned. The Fuji E500 doesn't seembe good for night shots which is something that I'mvery interested in. The Casio EX-S100 could definitely be a possibility. At the same time, what about the camera I mentioned before, the Casio EX-S100? Thanks again.
fLthMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:57 PM   #4

If you read on the internet, no camera in your price range is going to be described as "good in low light" (whatever that even means). Take another look at the Canon. If you used a moderate ISO setting and lengthen the exposure time I think you might be surprised.

S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:49 AM   #5

Here is a good site for finding items with good reviews. I already configured it for your situation.
http://resellerratings.shopping.com/...ual~S-214~OR-1

Also I just saw this today on my daily E-mail, it might help you out. They are doing a search of finding a good camera for under $200.
http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/...Holograms.html

Code:
13 years old with a Canon Digital Rebal (300D for the slower mind), 28-80mm Canon Lens, and Sigma 70-300mm Lens on the way!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:40 PM   #6

fLthMsc wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.I looked up both cameras you mentioned. The Fuji E500 doesn't seembe good for night shots which is something that I'mvery interested in. The Casio EX-S100 could definitely be a possibility. At the same time, what about the camera I mentioned before, the Casio EX-S100? Thanks again.
Casio S100?? You stated you wanted full manual controls. Why make a statement such as that, and then consider a camera that has none of them? Doesn't make sense.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote