Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of proprietary memory either, but (and perhaps its because I'm new at this) I figure if I have to buy a more expensive card for my camera, at least I'll only have to do it once *fingers crossed*.
I tend to agree. If you are just buying a camera and don't have other uses for the card there isn't that much price difference. And the Sony P200 for example is cheaper than most other 7Mp cameras even if you include paying a little more for the memory. I generally marry the card to the camera, but still think they should be interchangeable.

Quote:
Do you think I'm expecting too much from a small camera? I'd hate to spend the money on something and have poor pictures when I could just buy a new pack of flim for my little Konica film camera (also a point and shoot). On the other hand, I'm not the type to stare down my pictures for "fuzzy edging" and I probably wouldn't notice "purple fringing" if I didn't know to look for it.
I don't think you are expecting too much. I really don't see any compromises with a camera like the P200. It is small and seems to do everything well. The F10 is a bit larger and I wouldn't personally own a camera without a viewfinder, but the image quality is excellent.

There is a definite price advantage to buying online. If it arrives with a problem you don't have to deal with the manufacturer. Any of the highly rated vendors will make it right, albeit with more hassle than just taking it back to a store. There is an advantage to buying locally if you are willing to pay extra. You can easily return or exchange the camera if you don't like it. Unless you pay extra for an extended warranty the warranty protection is the same.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:48 PM   #12

I did a little look see at the Sony. It's nice, but it is bigger than the F10 (not by much at all). I see what you mean about the importance of a viewfinder. Afterall, the shot can't be very good if you can't see the frame to take it.
I'm not exactly married to the idea of a 7 pixel, something less would certainly be acceptable. Are there any other reccomendations you can give? Should I maybe look more into the Sony line?

Those are some good thoughts about web vs stores. I was thinking of waiting until a very popular store in Toronto had an online sale again. They have good prices and I know that it would be easy to return (and cheap on the shipping aspect). I suppose I need to choose a camera first eh? :|
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:46 PM   #13

I think your best bet would be to look through Steve's best camera list. Each listing is a link to the full review. Look in the 5-7Mp consumer category. Steve tests a lot of cameras and doesn't have the brand preferences some of the members have. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

I don't own a Sony. Most camera brands make some very good cameras and some that aren't so great. I don't know of a major brand I would either recommend or avoid – the devil is in the details. The P200 was in my final two picks and I chose the Casio Z750 instead. Steve hasn't tested the P200 but the P150 is very similar and on his best camera list. The volume of the P200 works out to about the same 9 cu in as the F10 and the Sony is lighter. Its long shape allows them to put the flash further away, which eliminates most red eye. Red eye is a big problem with small cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:34 AM   #14

I took the time to look at the Sony 150, and found one review for the 200 this morning. They look like rather impressive cameras! I really do like the fact that they have no redeye at all.
I'm not sure though, the F10 has attracted me for awhile as well.

I know that the F10 has redeye problems and neither are really stellar at sports scenes (something I'd use rarely if ever). The Sony has a viewfinder (which I now know is rather important). I do like the fact that you can easily use the F10 in a church without flash (I'm at the age where I'm going to a lot of weddings). Do you think that the Sony could pull it off if I played with the settings enough?

Is there anything else I should consider when comparing the two models?

Thanks, I feel like I"m actually coming to the end of this search thanks to you folks!

Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:47 PM   #15

The F10 is ISO 800 and ISO 1600 capable...the P200 can only go up to ISO 400. No amount of tweaking of the P200 settings will enable the low light abilities of the F10. Take a look at the portrait taken at ISO 800 and the theater shot taken at ISO 1600
- could any point and shoot camera currently on the market have taken those shots?

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...lmf10_samples/

...you can't get redeye if you don't (have to) use a flash.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:18 PM   #16

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
...you can't get redeye if you don't (have to) use a flash.

the Hun
Haha! I didn't even begin to think of that. Talk about a "duh" newbie moment!:-):lol:
Old Jun 23, 2005, 5:24 AM   #17

Here are a couple pics I took today with my new z750. I resized them but am EXTREMLY happy with the quality. Actually couldnt believe how comparable some of my shots were to my Canon 10d.
Attached Images

aarong20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 5:25 AM   #18

heres another
Attached Images

aarong20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:23 PM   #19

Re Fuji F10 - have a look at my photos using the F10
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/howard....les/index.html
Howard

howardleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:29 PM   #20

Ok,

I'm convinced! I'm going to go with the F10....although sight unseen kind of scares me, I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to get to one.:|

What do I need now?

Are all XD cards the same (yes, I know they're different sizes) but do they all fit in the cameras? Are any brands better?

Same thing with the battery. I've been able to find a different brand that fits in this camera for about half the cost. They're all the same stuff right?

Cases seem easy to find...what else do I need to know?

Thanks,
Sylorna