Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:33 PM   #21

Sylorna-

If you are used to using a chip reader and purchase the 1gb XD chip, you might need a new chip reader to download the M class chips ( the 1gb chips). I found the very small Olypmus MAUSC-300 does the got quite well.

In my opinion the F-10 is a great digital camera and it is capable of more than you think at first glance. Here is a sample photo from the F-10.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:09 PM   #22

Finally!!!

A case:

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

...look at the 5690...

Yes, all xD cards are the same, made by the same company. ..Fuji, Olympus, Kodak - all identical...shop for price.

The camera/battery is rated for 500 shots per charge...maybe you don't need another one (at least not right away).

I read somewhere that you can buy a waterproof case for your F10, which is good to about 200' - do you dive?

Have fun with your new camera - post a couple of pics.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:57 PM   #23

Sylorna-

Whoa! All XD cards are not the same. The 1gb cards, which are often referred to as M Class XD cards, work a bit differently if you are used to using a chip reader. I had to get a new chip reader (an Olympus MAUSB-300) to read the new M class cards.

But the good news is that the Fuji F-10 is just as great as you have heard. It especially excels at day photos, existing light and night photos, flash photos (out to 25 feet for the first time), and battery duration (up to 500 photos on a single charge!).

Here is a sample photo showing what the Fuji F-10 in a night time photo situation.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:42 PM   #24

Sarah,

My post was a direct reply to Sylorna's questions, " Are all XD cards the same (yes, I know they're different sizes) but do they all fit in the cameras? Are any brands better?"

Therefore, my statement that 'all xD cards are the same' meant that they all fit inside the cameras and no one brand is any better than another. Even the 1 GB 'M' class cards are the same physical size as the smaller capacity cards, and will fit in the cameras. They will also function the same in the F10 as the other capacity cards. The only problem with the class 'M' cards is with older cameras and 'chip' readers which were released before the 'M' class cards were released. Since this is Sylorna's first digicam, she probably isn't used to using xD 'chip' readers.

I'd like to see some pics you've taken with your F10 in your beautiful home state of Oregon for a change.

the Hun
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:40 PM   #25

OK, here is a digital photo taken with the Fuji F-10 right off our back deck 5 minutes ago.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:26 AM   #26

Ah!

Thanks for the info! Actually, The Hun was right, I was asking about size (dimentions) of cards, as there seems to be a big difference in cost. However, I didn't realize that the 1G cards are a different format from the others. It doesn't really matter since I don't have ANYTHING at the moment. I talked it over with my parents and we agree that maybe a 512MB might be good to start with, instead of going the full Gig right away (they're also on sale right now ). If I need more space, I can still buy it (and keep the 512 around as an extra). Sounds like the recomendation is to go with the Gig though eh?
:edit: Looking at some memory cards, some seem faster than others (I think the diffence is in the Gig vs MB's). Should I be concerned about speed? I want to do this right the first time. With the sale though, it's cheaper to get 2 Scandisk XD cards than one 1Gig of anything else. ah, so many questions!

I don't dive, but I'll tell you...the waterproof case sure is cool looking. Unfortunately it's more like $300 after money conversion here. Maybe I'll wait until I find a really good sale, or F1's are "getting old" and pick one up in a "clearance bin". We have a pool out back and it'd be fun to be able to goof around.

Those pictures are simply beautiful! I'm ordering my camera today and am really excited:-)

If I were to post pictures/general chat. Where would I do it? Thanks again guys, you've been a lifesaver! (or at least a mind saver):|

Sylorna

Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:11 PM   #27

Xd memories are not alike, but the quality variance is quite small amoung name brands. If you are leery of Olympus or Fuji brand of Xd, don't be since they had developed Xd as a replacement for their Smartmedia-type of memory. Get at least a 512mb card if you plan to take video with this camera. The videos are very good quality with excellent audio.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for the battery, the camera comes with a battery. Because it can take up to 500 pictures, it is unlikely to go dead on you from overuse unless you forget to recharge it. However, get the generic battery if you are the type to forget or who do not notice that the battery is half-consumed by the indicator on the lcd screen.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This is strictly a point and shoot camera. However, learn to adjust the iso which is as easy to adjust as the quality of picture (number of pixels). I just set the iso to 400 myself and let the camera run on auto or natural light if Ididn't want any flash.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:54 PM   #28

Sylorna-

I agree with deadzone, the 512mb XD chip is fine to begin with, especially if you want to do some video clips. Regarding posting a photo with a reply: all you need to do is: (1) click on the browse button at the bottom of the reply form. (2) Then locate the photo that you want to upload. Remember that it has to be a small file size, the largest pixel dimension should not exceed 500 pixels. (3) Open the file on the photo that youwant to upload. (4) Then when you click on the send button to the bottom right of the replyb form, your photo will be uploaded right along with your reply.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:15 PM   #29
PvB

Steve has a special section set up for posting photos (scroll downwards in the Steve's Forums page to the heading "Post your photos"). Choose the forum according to the photo(s) you want to post. Follow speaklightly's instructions, with the difference that instead of replying, you will be starting a new thread.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:38 PM   #30

Thank you, Sarah...you have a beautiful back yard!

the Hun