Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

Hi all!

I'm new here, and as you can guess, I need help choosing a camera. I've been reading reviews for the past number of weeks pretty obsessively and am still having a problem choosing.

Here are my thoughts on my camera needs: I want something as small as possible. I don't use my current film camera because it's too bulky to fit in my pocket and annoying to carry around. Manual controls don't matter to me as long as I still get good pictures. I'd like something with 5-7mega pixels so that I can play around with the pictures if I need/want to or blow them up if they're fantastic. I'd like something that performs well in macro mode since I just planted a rose garden and to be at least acceptable in low light situations. It feels like I'm asking too much, and I'm willing to sacrifice perfection on pretty much all of these.

I've read good things about the Fuji F10 (which I think would be the largest camera that my pocket could take). I've also looked at Pentax (awaiting some reviews on their S5z), Cannon (which seems to have lots of noise) and Casio Exz750 (which seems to have it's fair share of problems). Being that I'm going to be using this camera for every day, run of the mill pictures of my family friends, cats and general outings I don't know how much to listen to the professional reviews and how much to "just go out and buy the dang thing".

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes I get obessive about making decisions and need someone to take my hand and lead me out of the muddle.

Thanks,

Sylorna
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:54 PM   #2

Sylorna wrote:
Quote:
I want something as small as possible.
Well, it's a good thing you don't need manual controls, as you won't get them in the smallest digicams. Take a look at the reviews for the Nikon S1, Canon SD300/400/ and the slightly bigger 500, Fuji Z1, Sony T7, and Olympus Verve. All are fine for general snapshooting, but will falter a bit in low light situations.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:24 PM   #3

Yes, by all means check out the Fuji F10. There are reviews at dcresource.com, dpreview.com and letsgodigital.com. The ratings have been amazing for excellent image quality, battery life (500 shots per charge) and LCD size and quality. It may be just a tad larger than what you wanted, but it is clearly one of the best compact cameras in its class - 6.3 megapixels. :|
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
Sylorna wrote:
Quote:
I want something as small as possible.
Well, it's a good thing you don't need manual controls, as you won't get them in the smallest digicams. Take a look at the reviews for the Nikon S1, Canon SD300/400/ and the slightly bigger 500, Fuji Z1, Sony T7, and Olympus Verve. All are fine for general snapshooting, but will faulter a bit in low light situations.

PhilR.

I have indeed looked at the Nikon S1, Canon Sd 400/500 and the Fuji Z1. The amount of fuzziness/noise complaints and terrible reviews in low light scared me. Afterall, I don't want to take a cute pictureon christmas eveand have it turn out to be so dark I can't see the subject. I have not looked at the Sony T7 however, because I've heard so many complaints about the Sony line in general. I've also been told that Olympus does not have high quality shots in digital format.

Perhaps all of this is wrong. It seems I can find people who love each of these cameras and some who hate them....all for the same reason.

I'll check into the Sony and Olympus though, thanks
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:42 PM   #5

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
It may be just a tad larger than what you wanted, :|

Indeed it is...albeit not huge. I feel like I may have to sacrifice some in the size category in order to get the best I can for my $500+ (CAD). Afterall, if I'm going to spend that sort of dough on a camera, it better take good pictures, you know?

It's a shame though. My film camera is pretty small (W4.5"XH2.5"XD1.5"). Sometimes being a girl leads to smaller pockets and some "I don't want to look like a big nerd" vanity. I don't know that it's right, but it's true....going to formal events, or even the zoo would be easier if I had something small and compact.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:05 PM   #6

Sylorna wrote:
Quote:
Afterall, I don't want to take a cute pictureon christmas eveand have it turn out to be so dark I can't see the subject.
Quote:
All of these cameras have a flash. Use the flash, and you will be able to see the subject. Of course, you would need to be within the working range of the flash.
Quote:
I've also been told that Olympus does not have high quality shots in digital format.
Quote:
That's pretty silly. Olympus is just as good as any other digicam manufacturer.
Quote:
Perhaps all of this is wrong. It seems I can find people who love each of these cameras and some who hate them....all for the same reason.
Quote:
Not a surprise. No digicam is perfect. Most of the negative comments I read concerning digicams are made by people who do not understand the limitations of a commodity that has huge variation.
If you want a small camera, then you have to accept the limitations. All of the cameras mentioned so far take excellent pictures. Like all digicams however, they will not provide good results if you try to make them work outside of what they are designed to do.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:54 PM   #7

Sony makes some good digital cameras – the T7 just doesn't happen to be one of them. The Sony P200 is an excellent small camera. It has one advantage in that it is probably the only pocket camera that doesn't often give red eye because they managed to move the flash away from the lens. I'm not a big fan of proprietary memory like Sony's Memory Stick, but the xD on Fuji and Olympus cameras is not likely to be used on any other brand either.

You seem to have a few of your choices without a viewfinder other than the LCD. It is harder to quickly acquire a target and you can have problems in bright sunlight. You generally need higher shutter speeds as you can't steady the camera as well. I don't personally like that but people seem to get by OK.

I have a Z750 and don't recommend it if you don't need the manual capabilities. Most of the problems are as PhilR noted – users who don't understand the limitations of a small camera. But there is one real problem you need not cope with. The lens extends so fast that it can cause lens errors if you accidentally power it on in your pocket or in any way inhibit the extension. The extra capabilities of the camera make it well worth taking precautions to me, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who just wants a point and shoot camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:25 PM   #8

Sylorna,

I forgot to mention that I paid just $313.75 U.S. for the Fuji F10 including S&H at www.buydig.com. The sale went smoothly and the camera arrived a a day earlier than scheduled via FedEx.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:51 AM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of proprietary memory like Sony's Memory Stick, but the xD on Fuji and Olympus cameras is not likely to be used on any other brand either.

You seem to have a few of your choices without a viewfinder other than the LCD. It is harder to quickly acquire a target and you can have problems in bright sunlight. You generally need higher shutter speeds as you can't steady the camera as well. I don't personally like that but people seem to get by OK.

I have a Z750 and don't recommend it if you don't need the manual capabilities. Most of the problems are as PhilR noted – users who don't understand the limitations of a small camera. But there is one real problem you need not cope with. The lens extends so fast that it can cause lens errors if you accidentally power it on in your pocket or in any way inhibit the extension. The extra capabilities of the camera make it well worth taking precautions to me, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who just wants a point and shoot camera.

I'm not a big fan of proprietary memory either, but (and perhaps its because I'm new at this) I figure if I have to buy a more expensive card for my camera, at least I'll only have to do it once *fingers crossed*.

I do have some choices without a viewfinder. It's one of those things that I was willing to sacrifice in the name of a good camera. I understand that there can be difficulties in bright sunlight, but I figure "how bad can it be?". And while I'd love to have both and a good camera at a small size, it seems the later two requests are rather difficult to achieve together. To add a third might be impossible.

Thanks for the info on the Z750. I think the biggest problem is that I'm reading reviews in a world of people who know about cameras and shutter speeds and apitures. I can read about these things, but I don't REALLY know what they do or have interest in them. People have told me to get something with manual controls so I can "grow into it", but I'm not looking at this venture in terms of growth. I'd like something that I can play with and takes pictures that I'll be thrilled with (in all lights).

Do you think I'm expecting too much from a small camera? I'd hate to spend the money on something and have poor pictures when I could just buy a new pack of flim for my little Konica film camera (also a point and shoot). On the other hand, I'm not the type to stare down my pictures for "fuzzy edging" and I probably wouldn't notice "purple fringing" if I didn't know to look for it.

Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:54 AM   #10

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
Sylorna,

I forgot to mention that I paid just $313.75 U.S. for the Fuji F10 including S&H at http://www.buydig.com. The sale went smoothly and the camera arrived a a day earlier than scheduled via FedEx.

Did you worry at all about customer service/warrenty? Is it really a concern when you're dealing with cameras, or do you go straight to the manufacturer?

I'm not sure if I should buy online or search through some stores. Do you think it makes a difference?