Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1

Hey,
I need help finding a good digital camera for Aviation photography and day to day pictures. I need as many recommendations as possible and also tell why you recommend them.

I dont need anything professional quality, I just want to be able to get some nice pics.
Most of all it has to be affordable.

Thanks,

EP.
experimental_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2

Just some general observations if you are shooting from the plane. Stabilization doesn't dampen airplane vibrations. Your body is the best vibration damper – don't let the camera touch any part of the plane. Other than a couple of larger aperture cameras like the Canon G series and a couple of the lower zoom Olympus cameras, most cameras will generate the same shutter speed under similar conditions. Some of the Panasonic FZs are especially good for zoom shots because of the f2.8 at full zoom giving a better shutter speed than others at full zoom.

The Canon SD series have no sports or action mode and you can't optimize the shutter speed to dampen the vibration. They are good cameras but I wouldn't choose one for shooting from a plane.

You might want to look at the Canon A95. With aperture priority you can open the lens and get the maximum shutter. It is a nice all round camera for the price if you don't have to put it in your pocket. Plan on buying a charger and NiMH batteries in addition to a memory card. CF is the least expensive memory. I'm not usually a big fan of color filters for digital cameras, but you can get an adapter for the A95 and skylight filters can cut haze a little better than doing it in post processing.

Look through Steve's best cameras. Find some that are in your price and size range. Then read the reviews. Even a point and shoot with a sports or action mode will give you the fastest shutter speed for a given lighting. And using a filter to cut the haze is only very marginally better than doing it in software.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:14 PM   #3

Thanks slipe.
The Canon A95 looks good. I also want to take pictures from outside of the aircraft.
Some take-off and landing pics.

Is the A95 good for that as well?

Also, what do you think of the Olympus C740 and C750?

Is shutter speed the time it takes the camera to take the picture?
I've never had a digital camera and just to show what Im working with now.
Here is my camera:-)

Attached Images

Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:08 PM   #4

The 740 and 750 are no longer in production. These are the speeds for the 750. Shutter lag is bad unless you pre-focus: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C750/C75A7.HTM The newer 770 is reasonably priced in the US but it isn't much faster.

The A95 would be fine for any photography if the limited optical zoom range is sufficient for you. Don't consider the digital zoom as it is useless.

I have no idea of your price range. You probably want a long zoom for photographing planes in flight from the ground.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:50 PM   #5

I am hoping to find a deal on Ebay. There are a few A95's on Ebay right now.

My price range is less than $250 CDN, including shipping and customs fee's. I'll probably pay more though because I dont want to be disapointed with what I get.

I was trying to find out what other aviation photographers are using.
At http://www.airliners.net , I did a search on each camera and I tried to link to the page for each camera, but it wouldn't work.

If you could go here http://www.airliners.net/search and use "canon a95, fujifilm, olympus,...etc..." as the search keyword. You will see all the pictures and in the remarks it will say what camera they were using.
Tell me what you think.
I would really appreciate if anyone could do this!!

Thanks alot,

EP.

Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:15 AM   #7

Bump?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:03 PM   #8

That is a good link thanks :-)

The Oly c750 seems to do quite well:!:
As Slipe mentioned shutter lag will be an issue on just about all Point & Shoots.
I could not figure out if it is possible to search their database by camera type used. :sad:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:32 PM   #9

Your welcome, are you interested in aviation photography?
Here's how you search the airliners.net database for each camera.

Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:52 PM   #10

Ah Ha so that is how it is done:!:

I'm interested in all kinds of imageing :-)
Live too far from any big airports to see many planes except for the ocasional Cesna, or ultra-lights.
And the usual yearly round of rescue choppers trying to pull people off the ice as it breaks up on Lake Simcoe. (and choppers flying around searching for grow-ops in the summer :-) )

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote