Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:59 PM   #1

I currently have a Kodak DX3600 camera. It served its purpose back when I bought it nearly 3 years ago. However, I want a camera with more features and better quality.

My first priority is to get something with a bigger zoom. My camera has a 2X zoom, so I figure something with 6X zoom or more would be good for me.

The Kodak was nothing more than a point-and-shoot camera, so I would like to get something that has more functions, yet could be easy enough for other family members to use if they ever had to. I also decided that I don't care much for slim, tiny cameras. Price is an object for me, so I'm trying to spend under $500 Canadian. The2 cameras that I've been looking at the most are:

Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Fuji Finepix S5100 Zoom

Which one of these is better? I doubt I'll ever do anything higehr than 8x10, so I don't think the PowerShot's 3.2 Megapixelswill be a problem. They both seem to have pro's and con's and I can't decide which one will be better for me. Or is there a different similar camera that you'd recommend? Thank you.
dbains2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:45 PM   #2

The S5100 gets my vote...4 MP, AF assist, great battery life (with NiMH AA's), and it fits my hand perfectly. At the current prices, I don't think it can be beat. Now, if you could get the S2 IS for the same price...

You didn't mention which pros and cons you were referring to, but regarding some of the cons I've read about the S5100...I do not have any vignetting problems with my camera...I have had not problems with any of my xD cards...I do not consider the lack of IS a handicap.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:21 AM   #3

The con of the 5100 that I was thinking of specifically is that it doesn't have built-n image stabalization, which is supposedly an issue when you have big zoom lenses like on the 5100. Tell me, do you have a problem with that? Is there any work around?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:52 PM   #4

As I stated in my previous post:

...I do not consider the lack of IS a handicap.

Image stabilization (IS) is a feature available in some digital cameras. Like every feature, it will cost you money...either by raising the price of the camera, or by sacrificing other features (you get what you pay for). The S1 IS has image stabilization (IS), but it does not have (for example) AF assist. It is also limited to a maximum resolution of 3.2 MP. Which feature is more important to you? The ability to focus in marginal lighting conditions, or "shake" reduction? If your camera is not properly focused, even if the camera is mounted on a tripod, your picture will be blurry!

Don't think that having IS will eliminate blurry pictures - it will not. I'm not saying IS isn't a good or desirable feature - I'm only trying to say that I don't feel that it is a 'must have' feature - I can live without it. Maybe if I had a 12X zoom (or greater), I would consider it necessary.

Attached is a pic I snapped at maximum zoom, while standing in my rocking boat, with my Fuji S5100.

I hope this helps.

the Hun

Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:23 PM   #5

I got an FZ10 when it was first released. The camera has some things I don't like. But one thing it has taught me is that I will never own another large camera without stabilization. I would like to have it on my pocket camera as well, but only Panasonic is making pocket cameras with stabilization and they screwed it up IMO.

It is not only a good feature for a long zoom, but it also gives terrific available light capabilities at wide angles. You can handhold the camera in a lot more situations with stabilization.

I have heard a lot of bad comments about the S1 though. It has focus problems and people aren't crazy about the images. The new S2 is evidently a dynamite camera, but I'm guessing by your choices you are budget limited.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:48 AM   #6

Rinnie, thanks for the info. I like that pic.

Slipe, yeah I think the Canon S2 sounds great but it's definitley out of my price range.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:14 AM   #7
PvB

The Panasonic FZ3 has been around for a while. It's been followed up by the FZ4 and FZ5. What they can be had for in Canada is unknown to me. All three can be had for less than 500 US$ (less than 400 US$ is also possible).
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote