Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:24 AM   #1

Hi. I normally take cheapy photos. I have a Kodak Easy Share digital and it has been nice for someone that is not very good with cameras but now I want something better. I hope maybe someone on here can help me.

I want good quality photos. I don't want ot spend thousnads of dollars on a camera only becaue I am no pro photographer. Maybe later when I get the hang of it then i will invest in something that pricey.

My photos are mainly of my family and of outdoor life. I love taking photos of wildlife and nature.

What kind of camera would you advise me to get? I have seen great reviews for the Nikon D70 but I am afraid to get soemthing that expensive and I have no knowledge of such a high grade camera. I do want the pictures to come out clear and look somewhat professional....at least enough to mount in my scrapbooks and into an album to show off deer to buyers.

Any suggestions?

Sorry I misspelled my title thread (professional)

roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:07 AM   #2

Well, I'm also looking to buy a new camera. While being far from an expert, I think the Cannon S2 IS would suit you. Thats what I decided to get myself.

12x Zoom, 5 MP. It can also take addon lenses, so you can upgrade later if you want something better.

While it seems to have some (very few) imaging problems, that wont affect you during daylight. (I think)

I think its about $500. Seen it advertised online for about $450.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

If you wanted something with more of a professional feel than the S2 IS but for the same price you might want to check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. It has great reviews and is in the same price range as the S2. It is a 5 MP sensor and 12x Zoom, and is close to the most of the Canon's specs. It does give a much more professional feel and look...

Quote of the specs:

Quote:
12x Optical Zoom and F2.8 Brightness Across the Entire Zoom Range The DMC-FZ20K has a 12x optical lens system that is equivalent to 36mm to 432mm in a 35mm film camera. It comprises 13 lenses in eight groups, including three aspherical lenses and boasts F2.8 brightness across the entire zoom range. Plus, the DMC-FZ20K also provides 4x digital zooming1--combine that with the 12x optical zoom to get up to 48x zoom power for ultra-long-distance telephoto shots. Leica DC Vario-Elmarit Lens 13 Elements in 8 Groups (3 Aspherical Lenses/3 Aspherical Surfaces, 1 ED Lens) Optical Image Stabilizer MEGA O.I.S. (Mode 1 / Mode 2 ) Optical Zoom 12x Digital Zoom 1 4x (up to 48x Total Zoom when combined with 12x Optical Zoom) Camera Effective Pixels 5.0 Megapixels CCD (Image Sensor) 1/2.5" 5.36 Total Megapixel CCD Primary Color Filter Image Processor Venus Engine II™ LSI Recording Image Size (Pixels ) 2560 x 1920 2048 x 1536 1600 x 1200 1280 x 960 640 x 480 1920 x 1080 Motion Image: 320 x 240 Motion Image (Quick Time™ Motion JPEG) 30 or 10 fps (320 x 240 pixels) 2 F Stop F2.8 (wide to telephoto) Aperture F2.8 - F8 Focal Length f=6.0-72mm (35mm equivalent: 36-432mm) Focusing Area Normal: Wide: 0.98 feet; Tele: 6.56 feet-Infinity Macro, A/S/M mode: Wide: 0.16 feet;Tele: 6.56 feet-Infinity Focus Auto Focus System Normal/Macro (Dial) Continuous AF On/Off Manual Focus (Ring) One-shot AF ISO Sensitivity Auto / 80 / 100 / 200 / 400 White Balance Auto/Daylight/Cloudy/Halogen/ Flash/White Set White Balance Adjustment (except for Auto WB) Exposure Program AE (Program Shift (P mode)) Aperture Priority AE Shutter Priority AE, Manual Exposure Compensation 1/3 EV Step, ± 2 EV Auto Bracketing (AE) +1/3EV-1EV Step, 3 Frames Light Metering Intelligent Multiple / Center-weighted / Spot Scene Modes Dial: P(Program) Mode, A(Aperture Priority) Mode, S(Shutter Priority) Mode, M(Manual) Mode, Macro SCN1, SCN2: Portrait, Sports, Landscape, Night Landscape, Panning, Night Portraight, Fireworks, Party, Snow, Moving Image, Playback Shutter Speed 8 - 1/2,000 sec. Self Timer 10 seconds / 2 seconds Picture Adjustment Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, Noise Reduction Color Effect Mode Cool, Warm, Black & White, Sepia Image Quality TIFF/Fine/Standard Mega Burst® Shooting Mode Full-resolution image: Standard Mode: Up to 7 images at 3 or 2 frames/sec. Fine Mode: Up to 4 images Still Image Recording with Audio 5 seconds Audio Dubbing Maximum of 10 Seconds Built-in Flash Mode Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction Forced On/Off Flash Output Adjustment (1/3EV step, -2 +2EV) 0.98 - 22.97 feet (ISO Auto) External Flash Hot Shoe Real-time Histograms Yes LCD Monitor 2.0" Diagonal Polycrystalline TFT LCD Display (130k pixels) Field of view: approx. 100% Viewfinder 0.33" diagonol Color EVF (114k pixels) Field of view: approx. 100% Built-in SD Card Slot Yes Recording Media SD Memory Card Multimedia Card Microphone Built-in Speaker Built-in Interface DC Input, A/V Output (NTSC/PAL), USB Power Supply Lithium-ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 680 mAh)(Included) Battery Charger/AC Adaptor (Input: 110-240V AC)(Included) Battery Life 3 Up to 240 pictures (CIPA Standard) Up to 270 pictures with EVF Conversion Lens Compatibility Yes Auto Review 1 sec/3 sec/zoom Review 1x/4x/8x Included ArcSoft® Software 4 ArcSoft® PhotoImpression™ ArcSoft® Panorama Maker™ ArcSoft® PhotoBase™ Other Included Software SD Viewer for DSC 5 USB Driver Included Accessories Battery Charger Battery Pack 16MB 6 SD Memory Card Lens Cap Lens Hood & Adaptor A/V & USB Cable Strap CD-ROM OSD Language English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, German, Italian, French Exposure Button Yes AF Metering Yes AF Assist Lamp Yes Composition Guide Lines Yes Flip Animation Yes Unlimited Consecutive Shooting 7 Yes Economy Mode No view Playback Mode 9-Thumbnail Display Zoomed Playback (16x max) Image Rotation Slide Show Resizing Trimming, Protection DPOF Setting Direct Print PictBridge Backlight Compensation No view

http://resellerratings.shopping.com/xPO-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ20

Code:
13 years old with a Canon Digital Rebel (300D for the  slower mind), 28-80mm Canon Lens, and Sigma 70-300mm Lens on the way!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:36 PM   #4

Quote:
If you wanted something with more of a professional feel than the S2 IS but for the same price you might want to check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. It has great reviews and is in the same price range as the S2. It is a 5 MP sensor and 12x Zoom, and is close to the most of the Canon's specs. It does give a much more professional feel and look...
I have an FZ10 and have used a friend's FZ20 extensively. I'm not sure what you mean by professional feel, but my big complaint with the camera is the dearth of controls requiring you to go to the menu for everything. The S2 seems to have a much better control setup.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:00 AM   #5

You said that you had a Kodak Easy Share, so I was under the impression that you wanted more of a pro look.... Sorry.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:38 AM   #6
PvB

The high zoom section of digital cameras is dominated now by the Panasonic FZ5, the Canon S2 IS (which has been put high up, next to the Panasonic FZ20, by at least one reviewer) and the Sony DSC-H1. All have IS and 12x optical zoom. The FZ5 uses a Li-ion battery, the S2 uses 4 AAs and the H1 uses 2 AAs. Do a side-by-side comparison of the specs (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/compare.php or go to dpreview.com, move the mouse over "Buying guide" and click on the link "Side-by-side"). Read the reviews as well and find out which camera you like best.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:42 AM   #7

I do want a professional look. I do have a Kodak but I do not like it. I don't mind spending the money for a good quality camera I just don't want to spend over $1000 on a camera when I am just getting into photography. I would like to work my way up. Right now I don't mind spendingup to $800 on one.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:59 AM   #8

If you all were to see the pics I have taken on my Kodak you would be laughing. They are pathetic. My indoor pics look dark. My outdoor pics are too light.
Attached Images

Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9

here is another...it is indoor and dark
Attached Images

Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:04 PM   #10

this one just does not look clear enough.
Attached Images