Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:22 AM   #1

I'm a bit divided in choosing between Fuji FinePix 810 with a good price (US$320) and a Casio Z750 (US$460).

Anyone can provide some enlightenments?

F810:

+4x Optical zoom

+More manual functions

+Great photo quality

+Powerful flash

- Only 100 shots per charge

- expensive xD card!

Z750:

+ 250 shots per charge

+ slim design

+ manual functions (shutter/aperture...)

- 3x optical zoom

- Weak flash

- Average photo quality

+ SD card

Thanks a lot.
reclus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:18 AM   #2

reclus,

From your post, it's hard to determine what your needs are in a camera, but if you are looking for a compact Fuji, with great photo quality, very fast operation, ISO 800 and 1600 capability, and great battery life (500 shots per charge), why wouldn't you be looking at the F10 rather than the 810?

Granted, the F10 is practically devoid of manual functions and has no optical viewfinder, but I don't know if that matters to you. Also, since you will need to purchase an additional memory card regardless of the camera you choose, the difference between the price of the SD and xD cards is negligible when considering you're going to spend $400 for a camera.

Why don't you come back with a list of your "must haves" for a camera, and then we could provide some insight?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:24 AM   #3

Basically i need a camera with the following specs:

- Manual functions (shutter/aperture priority, ....). Both F810 and Z750 seem to provide adequate controls

- Powerful flash & quick recharge. dpreview's review reveals that Z750's flash is very weak... (Any other opinions?)

- F810's 4x Optical zoom is very tempting. But i wonder if it is a significant diff. from Z750's 3x zoom.

- Great photo quality. I owned Fuji's older model (FinePix F6800Z). It produces great 3MP picture. So I presume F810 should deliver the same quality. Casio Z750 is not bad as well...(but many says the quality is pretty average!)

- Short battery life although not significant ...can be a hassle to bring a 2nd battery...

-Finally, form factor is the last consideration. Of course, slim design like Z750 or F10 is fantastic!

- F810is on discount at US$320. Pretty good price.

In fact I was eyeing on F810 before Z750 was announced. But then Z750 tempted me with its slim design yet good manual controls (not to mention wide-range of BESTSHOT selection). I'm kinda turned off by its weak flash though....
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:28 AM   #4

The E550 has the same lens, sensor and internal processing as the F810, but uses AA batteries, which would be easier to locate and cheaper to have as backup. The E550 also gives more shots per charge (200 with 2300 mAH batteries). If you get four 2500 mAH NiMH batteries, you can probably get a total of 440 pics before recharging.

The 4X zoom on either the F810 or the E550 is both wider at the low end (32.5 mm vs. 38 mm) and higher on top (130 vs 114 mm) than the 3X of the Z750.

You can probably get the E550 for less than either of the other two cameras.

the Hun

Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:21 AM   #5

Thanks rinnie.

By the way, what do you think about the 5x zoom Casio P505?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:07 AM   #6

The P505 is a radical departure from the other cameras you've been looking at. Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to it? The P505 is a hybrid...an attempt at least to merge a camcorder and a still camera into one package. I wasn't able to find too many reviews on it yet, but what I've read so far leads me to believe that Casio hasn't succeeded in this attempt at hybridization. Apparently, the videos are quite good, and the stills are quite poor.

If you are now interested in an SLR-like camera, there are a number out there which would give you much better still picture quality, and still give a very good video for about half the price of the P505.

Case in point...Fuji S5100...4 MP, 10X optical zoom...great photo quality, very good video quality, 400 shots per charge (with 2400 mAH AA NiMH batteries), full manual functions, AF assist lamp, looks and feels like a real camera. All this for less than $250!

the Hun

Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:45 AM   #7

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
The P505 is a radical departure from the other cameras you've been looking at. Just out of curiosity, what attracted you to it? The P505 is a hybrid...an attempt at least to merge a camcorder and a still camera into one package. I wasn't able to find too many reviews on it yet, but what I've read so far leads me to believe that Casio hasn't succeeded in this attempt at hybridization. Apparently, the videos are quite good, and the stills are quite poor.

If you are now interested in an SLR-like camera, there are a number out there which would give you much better still picture quality, and still give a very good video for about half the price of the P505.

Case in point...Fuji S5100...4 MP, 10X optical zoom...great photo quality, very good video quality, 400 shots per charge (with 2400 mAH AA NiMH batteries), full manual functions, AF assist lamp, looks and feels like a real camera. All this for less than $250!

the Hun

It's a friend who ask for P505. I think he's interested in its diminutive form factor yet offering 5x zoom.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Meanwhile I'm pretty satisfied with my brand new Fuji F810. (Can't find E550 model). The still picture taken in Auto mode looks great and very detail. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The movie quality (640x480) is also pretty good but limited to only few minutes with 256MB card.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm pretty much a beginner in photography...need to spend more time to learn all the features in F810. :lol:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for the big helps.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:31 AM   #8

You're welcome, and good luck with your new camera.

the Hun