Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:50 AM   #1

Here goes my attempt at the inevidible "which camera" question.

I am considering my first dig camera purchase and need some direction,advice, helpful hints, etc. My camera use is varied, indoors and out, daylight and dark, brite light to littlelight, stationary subjects and moving subjects, close up and further out. Size is not a concern as I have big hands so a larger size camera will actually suit me fine.

It seems I will need a higher than the standard 3x optical lens. With a higher powered optical lens I will probably want and need optical image stabilization. I want a good name brand camera, with good waranty,good customer service,something that is very durable and not delicate, for a reasonable price.

Do they make such? Probably not. What comes close to what I think I need?

Thanks, Dave
Davexx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:35 AM   #2
PvB

Go to the thread "Image Stabilisation", by FrankkM and read my reply there. I've listed a number of cameras with IS. All of them have big zooms. 12x zoom cameras dominate the list.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:07 AM   #3

Canon's S2 IS is a great camera. I bought one last week and It's the best non-SLR that I've tried. Not only is the 12 x zoom great, with the IS and Digic II... 5 MP is well enough for excellent still shots and movies. Not dissapointing at all!
YloPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:33 AM   #4

Some Cannon dig cameras have been demonstrated to me and proved to have a very slowshutter speed comparedto others. Have you noticed this and is it a problem?

It was described as the time the microprocessor takes to focus, anaylize the light, set the shutter speed and other adjustments, and finally snap the photo. Therewas a noticeable difference between Cannon and other brands.

Dave
Davexx1 is offline   Reply With Quote