Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

I'm new to the digital age of cameras and have been spending some time now looking at digital cameras and looking over reviews and reading up in the forums of several sites. The problem is I still haven't found any conclusive answer to which camera is better, the Canon SD500 or the Nikon 7900.

The reason I'm looking at these two is that I like the small size of both, the design and style. There look easy to carry around any wear and seem to be the best when it comes to this size of camera. I need something that I'll be able to use down the road, something that takes great photos in all the usual environments, like action shots, day/night shots for outdoors/indoors portraits and landscapes, and dimly lighted evening parties. Since I am a novice and this camera will also be used by others in my family I would like it to be simple to use, for example just leaving it in auto and letting the camera take care of it all.

The problem is that from what I have read, the Nikon 7900 has a problem with low light photos but otherwise is a great camera with unique features like Face Priority AF, Red-Eye Fix, Blur warning, and D-Lighting. With the Canon SD500 I have read that some people have had problems with its LCD cracking and whining during movies and a few posts of it not doing well in dim light. I don't know of any unique features with the SD500 but do know that it is of good quality and it takes great photos.

I was hoping someone with either of the cameras could highlight the pro's/con's that they have found while using the camera, and/or someone comparing them for me. You see all I've been able to get so far from others posts that have asked this question is referral to other cameras:

The Fugi F10, seems a little bulky, and seems more towards the manual side of things compared to auto but does look like it takes great photos.

A couple of Sony's, the W7 and P200, both of which I don't like the shape or style, and in image quality they seem to be below the Canon SD500 or the Nikon 7900.

The Olympus c-7000 again too bulky for me to carry around.

I don't mind paying more, I'd even pay 100 or more then the SD500, but I want a camera that can do what I need it do without shortcomings that would be noticeable to me. For example I don't need video, so if the video is inadequate I don't mind. If there is another camera that you think fits my needs please help me out by directing me there. Forgive me if something I've stated is wrong and feel free to correct me. Thanks in advance.
Kamla_Anda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:05 PM   #2

For dimly lit evening parties you need a flash. The SD500 has a very good flash for a small camera and focuses well in low light. The 7900 assist lamp has an extremely limited range and it has trouble focusing in dim light beyond the 4 foot range.

One exception to always needing the flash might be the Fuji F10. It will shoot at higher ISO – albeit with some noise. I'm not a big fan of having the LCD as the only viewfinder, but it has great optics and exceptional low light capability.

I don't think the Sony P200 is below anything in its class for image quality. The odd shape lets them put the flash further from the lens, making it the only small camera that doesn't give much red eye. Every other camera mentioned has lots of red eye. It is 8 cubic inches compared to 9.7 on the SD500 and 144 grams compared to 170. Some people think of cameras as a fashion statement and I can't really comment on that aspect. The SD500 does have a stronger flash although the P200 is quite useable. Other than that I think it compares well to the SD500.

You will always find posts from people who think their camera has low light problems. They shoot indoors without a flash and generate motion blur. You eyes adjust to the indoor light and it looks fine, but it isn't bright enough to generate enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur unless you put it on a tripod.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

My wife has an SD500 and it's fantastic, small & light and looks great.

No problems with whine in videos either.

The flash pictures are brilliant and it's very responsive as it has the same DigicII processor as my 20D.

Picture quality is excellent, battery life very good.

Highly recommended. (No experience with the Nikon though so can't compare.)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:22 AM   #4

You said that you considered the Fuji Finepix F10. IMHO, it is superior to either the SD500 or the Nikon 7900, and less expensive too. The image quality is fantastic, and it is marvelous at shooting in low light situations. The only drawback, for some people, is a lack of an optical viewfinder. This is more than compensated by the large, bright and beautiful 2.5" LCD. Another plus is the battery life. You can take 500 photos on one charge! And it is small and pocketable too - not ultracompact, but certainly small enough to fit in your shirt pocket. Check out these reviews and see if you can be convinced!

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=678

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9654

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...40/page_1.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F10/F10A.HTM

http://www.forbes.com/business/2005/...20tentech.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1118881868.html

Well, I guess you will have enough reading to keep you busy! If I did not think the F10 was the best compact digital out there, I would not have taken the time to locate and post the reviews for you. Let us know what you think. Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:22 AM   #5

Oh, I forgot to tell you - I paid $313.75 at buydig.com for my F10 including S&H. You may even get it cheaper if you look around, but beware of your online vendors and check them out at www.resellerratings.com
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:28 PM   #6

Justinian-

Thanks for including a link to my own postings and photosover at the forum on www.dcresource.com. Yes I posted those photos and will be happy to post them on this forum as well, if requested.

The Fuji F-10 is indeed a rather amazing digital camera capable of some rather interesting things. For example, Slipe, was posting above regarding the extensive problems involved with taking existing light digital photo under normal room lighting. That situation is not a problem at all for the Fuji F-10. Here is a sample photo taken HANDHELD and WITHOUT flash using room lighting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:34 PM   #7

Justinian-

Here is a photo demostrating that rather than the approximate 10-14 foot flash range attainable with most digital cameras, the Fuji F-10 has an effective flash range that extends out to 25 feet! The attached photo happens to show 23 feet, that is not the maximum distance.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2005, 4:24 PM   #8

Speaklightly,

Between the two us, Fuji ought to give us a free camera for trying to push their best compact yet - the F10. Now please help me out here. I plan to use the F10 for everyday shooting, but I was also planning on buying an Olympus 7070 wide lens with many manual controls to learn on as I grow in photography skills. It is bulkier than the F10, to be sure, but still a useful second camera. Are you saying that the F10 can capture wide lens photos too?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:26 PM   #9

Justinian-

No, unfortunately the Fuji F-10 does not have a real time wide angle lens. But please keep in mind that the F-10 is a forerunner of things to come from Fuji. Their next step, I think, will be to team up the F-10's imager system with a better lens and a camera body with more features. Again, I must say, based on how very successful the F-10 has been, that we will see a follow-on to the F-10 by next Spring.

The Olympus C-7070 is a nice digital camera and it does have a wide angle position on the lens, but it does not have much zoom, if you are interested in zoom. I would reccommend the C-7070 but keep in mind that you will be paying for the Olympus at least 50% of what the Pentax 1stDS dSLR with a nice Sigma 18-125mm lens (a great "walk around" lens). The total kit cost is $902.

Indeed, Justinian, you may not be ready for a dSLR, I am not pushing.However, I wanted to prevent a progression of digital camera purchases, that in the end would save you money. So chalk that up as, "just a good idea."

Just for the record, Justinian, you will find me posting here from now on rather than at www.dcresource.com/forum. I will be gone fom 06/27 to 07/20 doing digital camera workshops in Russia. I also added another F-10 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:53 PM   #10

Thanks, Speaklightly. May I ask one more piece of advice? The reviews for wide lens cameras (and there are not many of them - cameras, I mean) suggest that the Olympus 7070 and 8080 are among the best. The Fuji E510 did not get much a positive review. Then there is the Canon S70, which is smaller in size than the Oly. In your opinion, what is the best wide angle lens out there for the money? Right now, the Oly 7070 can be purchased at beachcamera.com for just $354.00 inc. S&H, and at 6ave.com for just $346.06 inc. S&H. I checked the reliability of these online vendors at resellerratings.com and they are both satisfactory. The 8080 is more, of course, and the S70 is running close to $400 - 450. Thanks again and have a safe and enjoyable trip to Russia. I was there as a student when it was still the Soviet Union, a fascinating country.