Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:43 AM   #1

I am in the market for a new compact digital camera. I have basically decided on the Canon IXUS range, but cant decide on the IXUS 40 (SD300) or IXUS 50 (SD400).

As far as I can see, the only differences are the resolution and the MyColours feature on the Ixus 50.

Do I really need a 5 Mega Pixel camera? I mainly take basic shots for recreational purposes and if I ever print them out - its mainly in small size - I have seldom enlarged pictures. Should I save some bucks and just opt for the 4 MegaPixel camera?

Are there any other reasons that members can think of that I should be opting for the higher MegaPixels?

Regards
Irnest
Irnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:16 AM   #2

Well, its always nice to have the extra MP when you need it. If you take photos at a higher resolution, you can crop more before losing detail. It all depends on how much more it costs. (About R400 difference @ kalahari.net) I would go for it.

Here is an explanation about MP and print size.3 MP can give you about an A4 print. (if I did my maths correctly)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...July_2004.html

By the way. Also at Kalahari.net, you can get the Canon G6 for only R200 more than the IXUS 50.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:14 AM   #3

Not only is there a difference in megapixles, but the SD 400 also has a gain up feature. This means that when the lighting condition drops, the LCD will lower the frame rate to make the LCD screen more visible. The SD300 does not have this feature. ON the other hand, the SD300 has less nooise in its pictures because it has fewer megapixles jammed into a 1/2.5 in sensor.
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks Carrots!

Nice to see a fellow SA forum member. When I read your reply, I couldnt believe it ;-)

It looks like I will be veering towards the 5 MP.

Irnest
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:29 PM   #5

Actually from my point of view, for doing small prints(up to 5x7) there is absolutly no difference between 3, 4 and 5mp(or 8mp for that matter). The least number of mp jammed in the bigger sensor will often result in less noise, so that is a good thing. Then it will take less space on the same memory card so you'll be able to shoot more pictures. In some cases it will be faster and able to shoot more pictures in continuous mode.

Now, I don't believe that there isa huge diffence in speed. For example, the 4mp SD300 will shoot between 2.38 and 2.6 pictures per second in continuous mode; while the 7mp SD500 will only do between 1.6 and 2.0 pictures per second in the same continuous mode. Both cameras can shoot unlimited number of pictures.

The main advantage of the more pixels in your case is the increase in cropability. This means that you'll be able to crop more and still print with the same quality. Cropping acts like digital zoom or like if you had more optical zoom, its not recommended to do it excesively, but there is no wrong in doing it a bit.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:13 AM   #6

Thank you members for your advice and help in this regard.