Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:18 AM   #1

Let me begin by saying that I have read every review on the relevant models I could find and have been following relevant threads on this and other forums closely for about a month. I'm in a small rural area, limiting me to Canon or Nikon because other brands are not present (preventing in-store evaluation of size, weight, grip, etc.). Unfortunately, I've eliminated the Rebel XT due to the small size of the grip. I was all set to buy one, but I spent a great deal of time playing with one in a store, and it is simply too small for my big hands. I have been able to determine that each of the following models are large enough to be quite comfortable:

Canon 20D
Nikon 70Ds
Canon Rebel (original not XT)

Of these three, the Nikon feels the best in my hands, but it is fairly clear that the 20D is the superior camera. Of course, it is also probably overkill for a complete SLR novice, and the price is a bit hard to justify (although I will if necessary). However, I keep reading about quality issues with the Nikons. Between the original Rebel and 70Ds, am I correct that the Nikon is vastly superior?

I'd really appreciate your input.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:28 AM   #2

The Nikon D70 was positioned somewhere between the original Canon Rebel and the 10D. IMHO the D70s was a let down, not enough changed in it from the original D70.

I'd say the D70s is still positioned somewhere between the RebelXT and 20D, and it is an excellent camera.
If it feels the best in your hands I'd say that is the one to be looking hard at. :-).

:blah: I also found the 20D to be to small for my hands :blah:
I am usually using it with the additional BG-E2 battery grip that for me makes the camera a lot easier to handle. A similar grip is available for the RebelXT.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3

I tried the XT with the battery grip, but it didn't help. It does add weight, but it doesn't make the camera any easier to hold with my right hand.

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
The Nikon D70 was positioned somewhere between the original Canon Rebel and the 10D. IMHO the D70s was a let down, not enough changed in it from the original D70.

I'd say the D70s is still positioned somewhere between the RebelXT and 20D, and it is an excellent camera.
If it feels the best in your hands I'd say that is the one to be looking hard at. :-).

:blah: I also found the 20D to be to small for my hands :blah:
I am usually using it with the additional BG-E2 battery grip that for me makes the camera a lot easier to handle. A similar grip is available for the RebelXT.

Peter.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:10 PM   #4

I think the decision is between the Nikon and the 20D. If you are interested in sports shooting, the Canon will be better as it has better burst rate and buffer handling and precision focusing for 2.8 or better. If you're not interested in sports shooting and the Nikon feels the best then go with the Nikon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

Why not consider a used 10D?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:08 PM   #6

I grew tired of my weeks of indecision. I just ordered the 20D and Sigma 18-125. That should at least get me started.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:27 PM   #7

Whoo-Hoo :-)
Now for the hard part, the wait for delivery :-)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote