Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

Thinking seriously about dropping $400+ on this Canon, but would like to hear from some owners first. Are you glad you bought it (or not)? The main appeal seems to be ease of use for those not interested in much besides point an shoot (the missus), along with the ability to shoot RAW with shutter and aperture priorities (me). In other words, somthing for everyone. So, is this camera a good replacement for my mediocre Olympus C-720 UZ? TIA!
jhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:33 PM   #2

Don't know anyting about your old camera but I have a S70 and think it takes good pictures, I'm new to the manual settings so I can't be any help there but it does great in the auto mode for snapshot pictures. Ron
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:07 PM   #3

Well, I (unfortunately) know too much about my camera, which is why I am looking to replace it. My rule of thumb has always been 'would I buy it again?' So, would you? Anything about it bug you? Thanks.
jhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:32 AM   #4

Well I had a S40 for a few years and was happy with that so I bought the S70 when it came time to get a new camera. I like the size of it and the placemnet of the buttons. I like that it has a lense cover and you don't have lens cap to fool with. Ron
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:45 AM   #5

I don't own either the S70 or C-720, but I've owned the C-700 and C-740 before and still use an S30.

I think you'll find that the pictures will look much cleaner in an S70 than in your C-720. Also, if you take many landscape, architecture or indoors pictures, you'll find that you're able to fit much more into the picture thanks to the wide angle lens (The S70 will give you a more than 30% wider view).

On the other hand, if you like taking faraway pictures (squirrels/rabbits in your backyard, animals in the zoo, your daughter on the soccer field), then the S70 will do much worse, as the C-720 has more than three times as much reach (telephoto) as the S70. If you mainly take telephoto pictures, you might be better served with another ultrazoom camera.

One thing I disliked about the Oly C-7xx was that the three manual exposure modes were on one part of the dial, and it required you to go through a menu to change it (in general, it was too much menu-based).

I love my S30, but I liked my Oly-C7xx as well.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6

another thing to think about is shotter lag--my c700uz took almost a second to take the pic - upgraded now to a istds andI dont pick up any of my analog cameras anymore. While it is 500 (street) right now, you may want to look at the canon s2 is - it has recieved great reviews and will drop in price soon--
amicah22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:49 PM   #7

I have had an s70 since Oct and have taken about 2400 pics. It is a great point and shoot camera. I am very pleased with the s70. I like the size and the picture quality is great. It also is a sturdy camera, and doesn't feel "cheap."

That being said, I just ordered a panasonic fz15. I wish the s70 had a better zoom!!! So now I will have 2 cameras, which I'm ok with.

I don't know if this was the most economical decision.

If zoom is important to you and so is size, I'm not sure what the best route to take is.

good luck!

Bridget
bridgetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:02 PM   #8

I love my S70.

Good lens - sharp, wide, and very little distortion. It also starts at f/2.8 so gives tons of light to play with.

RAW capture is excellent for A3 prints. With a little time and effort, I can surpass what I was getting with my SLR using slide film.

small but well built.

Low noise sensor. On an A3 print, ISO50 looks amazing. On an A4 print, ISO100 and ISO200 look very good, whilst ISO400 is certainly usable. On a 5"x7" print all are fine.

The black and white mode gives a nearly print ready picture with lots of contrast. A little tweak in Photoshop and it looks stunning.

Lots of manual control. In Tv mode you can set the shutter speed up to 15 seconds and is a great camera for low light photography.

If I had loads more money, I would still buy this camera.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote