Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:14 AM   #1

hello forum,

as i m always take picture in indoor, i find out that not all the DGcams are good for photo shooting in indoor , i mean placaswhich arequite dark and not enough of lighting, coz the photos tat i taken normally there are red eyesfor peope in my peopleand the background of my picture is very dark, i m not sure whether the the flash of my DGcamis not strong enough or what..

therefore, i would like to ask u guys , which DGcam is the best 4 indoor photo shooting where the background of the photo ussually dun have enough lighting?

my budget is noy more than $500 us dollar.

TQ
kiamseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2

Both the red-eye and the dark background has to do with your flash.

Red-eye: Your flash is to close to your lens, as is the case with most compact digital cameras. You will have to get a camera with a hot shoe and a separate flash to remedy this. Some camerashas a flip up flash, although I dont know how effective it is.

Dark Background: Your flash is simply not strong enough. My Fuji A202 I think is rated at 3m, so anything futher away than 3m from me wil essensially be black. I dont know how strong a flash can be, but the Canon S2 IS i think is rated up to 5m

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:35 AM   #3

ic..TQ 4 ue advice

so, which model of DGcam u suggest i 2 buy?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:58 PM   #4

I wouls suggest that you take a look at the Fuji F-10. It has great flash and low light level performance.
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5

TQ speaklightly, it's a very nice taken photo !

besides of fuji F-10, any other Dgcam to recommend me ?those which are around USD $300-$400 ..
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6

The dark background doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the power of your flash. Say a person is standing 6 feet from the camera and the background is another 6 feet behind the person. The background is going to get 1/4 the light intensity as the subject. If you put a more powerful flash on the camera it is going to have to throttle down and put out the same amount of light to properly light the subject and the background is still going to get 1/4 the light.

The only thing you can do is open the lens more. This has no effect on the flash but lets in more ambient background lighting. Sony uses 1/40 second flash sync on most of their cameras to keep backgrounds from being quite so dark if there is good room lighting. The downside is that you have to hold the camera properly with bright background lighting or you can get motion blur. You can also get a ghost blur if ambient lighting is high and something moves fast.

There isn't a really good compromise unless you want to get a camera with manual exposure and vary the shutter speed according to the situation. There isn't a lot you can do even there. The laws of physics say the light intensity decreases at the square of the distance and that is going to make the backgrounds dark if the room is dark and most of the light is coming from the flash.

If you want a small pocket camera the only one I know of that has good red eye is the Sony P150/200. The long shape let them move the flash away from the lens. The further from the subject the greater the probability the Sony will start getting red eye, but up close it produces little to none. DCRP always shows a red eye test in their reviews. Scroll down and take a look: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml I don't know of another pocket camera that has done well on that test. Make sure to look up the DCRP review of anything you are interested in if red-eye is of special interest to you.

So I would say the camera you need is the Sony P150 or P200. They have the slowest flash sync so you let in more of the ambient light in a flash shot. They also have manual exposure so you can control that. They are the only small cameras I know of that aren't red-eye machines.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:11 PM   #7

Slipe-

I could be wrong but I think there is one measurement in the equation that you might not have taken into consideration:ISO!

When the ISO setting is increased, the flash range effectively becomes greater. That is why a Fuji F-10 can take great flash photos out to 25 feet from the digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:21 PM   #8

The higher ISO does bring out the background the same as a slower shutter without the higher chance of ghosts.

But one of his two concerns was red eye, which I tried to address. The Fuji produces a lot or red eye. I bought a small camera that also produces red eye, but I'm willing to take that out in post processing. It can be a real nuisance to someone who doesn't want to be bothered with post processing.

There are also a lot of disadvantages to not having an optical viewfinder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:51 PM   #9

Slipe-

If you look quite closely at the flash sample from the F-10 that I posted, there was no red eye and not much noise at ISO 1600.

Yes, I saw the lack of an optical viewfinder a negative just as you do. However, when you use the F-10 for a few days and realize that this $(US) 300 is doing all of the amazing things, you blow off any problems you previously had about a lack of an optical viewfinder! Here is another F-10 sample for you
Attached Images