Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:55 PM   #1

I was almost set on buying the DSC T7 today, but when I found out that the default shutter speed was only 1/40th of a second, I reconsidered. Are there any other alternates to that for a teen? or is there a way to change the default setting?
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:26 PM   #2

It won't be available until August, but the Casio S500 is very similar with a stronger flash and 5Mp. Casio usually uses 1/60 for flash. http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fu...C-F6A411DB509A

I agree that 1/60 is probably a better choice. There are advantages to the slower speed though. People often complain that the background is too dark with flash photos and you let in more available light with the slower sync speed. With the very weak flash on the T7 you would have more likelihood of ghosts at 1/40. You can't adjust the speed to my knowledge.

I would choose a different camera for a teen. The Sony P200 is very competent and cheaper. It does have the standard Sony 1/40 shutter though. The stronger flash might make it less of a problem.

You mentioned the Z750 on another thread. Great little camera but read the posts on the Casio forum about the lens errors if you accidentally extend the lens in your pocket. Maybe not the best choice for the average teenager – I know yours is above average, but still a teen. I knew about the lens error when I ordered mine. There just wasn't anything else with the features.

If a T7 was appropriate you obviously don't' think a viewfinder and manual modes are necessary. You might want to look at the Canon SD400. It is small and even has a viewfinder – still point and shoot though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:46 PM   #3

Thank you. Is 1/20th of a second of a difference going to allow that much more light in? Sometimes I think I should be a camera designer. Then I'd be happy. Hey! in a perfect world right??
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:56 PM   #4

I guess you could ask the question the other way round and ask if 1/20 second is going to be that big a deal for ghosts. With the T7 the problem is exacerbated by the unsteady hold caused by not having a viewfinder. With the P200 you should be able to hold it steady enough if you work at it. Most people don't worry about camera shake with flash shots, so it would take an effort.

You wouldn't have to worry about any of that with the SD400. And it has a very good flash range.

Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:39 PM   #5

What are ghosts that you are talking about in the last comment? ANd I did coinsider the Casio S500, but I need a camera now, and that is not availible until august like you said. Thanks though
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:52 PM   #6

When you take a flash shot whatever is lighted by the flash is frozen. I took a picture of the inside of my computer last night and the spinning fan was completely still in the flash shot. You could read the make and model. The flash fires extremely fast and freezes the action – shutter speed has nothing to do with that. The lens might be open for an eternity by comparison to the flash – like 1/40 or 1/60 second compared to 1/5000.

What is affected by the shutter speed is the part of the image from ambient light. The brighter it is or the weaker the flash the more it can affect the photo. If you have bright ambient light and a slow shutter someone moving in a flash photo will have a bright sharp image from the flash and a motion ghost from the ambient lighting. If your hold is unsteady you can also get some motion blur – also as a ghost with the sharp flash shot superimposed on it.