Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:39 PM   #1

Hi folks,

I have a Canon S50 which I have generally loved. The problem is with low light scenes being very noisy. Is there such a thing as a point and shoot that handles low-lighting levels or do I have to go with a dSLR? I've lately said that the only good camera is one you want to carry. dSLR's don't generally fit that criterion.

Any thoughts?

Thnaks,

Evan
Shrubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:50 PM   #3

I surely do agree that the Fuji F-10, with it extra high ISO capability of 1600 is a great point and shoot digital camera. It is more capable than most folks realize, particularly on flash photos (up to 25 feet), existing light or night photos, and battery duration (up to 500 photos on a single charge)!

It excels at both daylight and night time photos. Here is an example of what the F-10 can do at night.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:41 AM   #4

How are you taking the pictures?

I have the Powershot S70 and I can use exposures up to 15 seconds in Tv mode, and I canm also manually set ISO50. Noise hasn't been a problem.

Sam.

Shrubman wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks,

I have a Canon S50 which I have generally loved. The problem is with low light scenes being very noisy. Is there such a thing as a point and shoot that handles low-lighting levels or do I have to go with a dSLR? I've lately said that the only good camera is one you want to carry. dSLR's don't generally fit that criterion.

Any thoughts?

Thnaks,

Evan
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:09 PM   #5

The exposure on the photo that I posted of the Hong Kong Harbor was 1/4 second at F 2.8 with an ISO setting of 1600.

You will notice that there is virtually no noise in this NO FLASH digital photo. The high ISO capability of the Fuji F-10 make this photo possible. I did not use a flash and just braced the Fuji F-10 on a rail overlooking the harbor.

Things are moving forward by leaps and bounds in the digital camera industry. The Canon S-50/60/70 is limited by its maximum ISO speed of 400.

Here is another sample from the F-10 for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

Hey folks, thanks for the replies.

I was prompted to write my original post after looking at photos taken on a recent trip. Only some were truly low light, but overall those that weren't in bright conditions or using a flash seem grainy.

You can view the best of the photos here: http://www.evanthibeault.com/

They were all taken in an auto mode, either closeup, scenic, or full auto.

Evan
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:50 PM   #7

Evan-

Did I miss something? I do not see any night photos, or even existing light photos??

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:57 PM   #8

Heh...

Let me clarify. Night photos without a flash have always been horrendous. This batch of photos is not at night, but as seen in the picture of the bluegrass band, is taken in a situation where the camera was calling on me to enable the flash.

The photos on the mountain hike were certainly expected to be fine without a flash, despite overcats skies, but seem grainy nonetheless.

That's all I'm talking about. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Evan
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:29 PM   #9

But Evan-

We are ideed talking about photos taken without flash. I will again post yet a different sample photo.

Once more, please notice the absence of noise and the even exposure. Can we something like this from you, Evan??

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:34 PM   #10

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
But Evan-

We are ideed talking about photos taken without flash. I will again post yet a different sample photo.

Once more, please notice the absence of noise and the even exposure. Can we something like this from you, Evan??

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Please forgive me if I misunderstand you, but what do you want to see? You are posting images that look great and I pointed you to images taken in much brighter light that make me unhappy. What is left to say? Either the camera is underperforming or I am lacking skill. I assume the latter is true, but your request to see images more similar to yours will not likely confirm that.

Best,

Evan

PS: As viewed on my screen your latest photo is, indeed, quite grainy.