Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:15 PM   #1

I have had a Nikon 4500, the last of the swivel cameras, for the past couple of years and I have felt it was quite a good camera but recently the Nikon 7900 caught my attention.¬* It is smaller, more megapixels, easier to navigate menus, and still a metal casing.¬* It's price has also dropped to the low $300's.¬* Another appealing feature is that it uses an SD card.¬*Now I know there are many benefits to Compact Flash, however, I just bought a Palm LifeDrive that allows unbeliveably easy direct input, storage, and viewing of images on a large beautiful screen from cameras that use SD memory.¬* It is such an alluring feature.¬* Aside from the size advantage, I just don't know if I this camera¬*would truly be an upgrade.¬* I have read Steve's reviews but I am not able to tell how the image quality compares.¬* Does anyone have some facts that would help me make an informed decision or am I just being starry eyed over the latest technology?
image_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 3:37 PM   #2

You will see an improvement in full autofocus shutter lag, but the 7900 doesn't do very well in that category compared to some other current small cameras. The focus assist light is only effective out to around 4 feet. Beyond that it has low light focus problems. That could be an irritation. It seems to have above average corner softness for a small camera and some vignetting. I don't find those to be big problems as there isn't usually anything in the corners you need sharp.

Resolution is definitely better than your 4500 for large prints or extreme crops and blow-ups. But if you don't tend to do that you probably won't see much resolution change. You would see a big improvement in movies if you use your camera for that.

I have a couple of cameras with SD that will display in my Palm. But the display on my Tungsten isn't any better than the 2.5 inch LCD on my little pocket camera. And the camera will store gobs of favorites in the permanent memory at display size. Your display is better than my Tungsten, but I didn't see that much advantage when I had only a 2 inch LCD on the other camera and the Tungsten was a larger display. Once you get something with a larger LCD I don't think you will find it that much of an advantage to be able to put the card in the Palm. And you can always transfer the pictures from the computer to the Palm if you want your favorites to show around.

If you want to upgrade I would look around for something with SD and a faster full autofocus shutter lag and better low light focus. I wouldn't upgrade just for the SD. Your new camera would have a larger LCD and you likely wouldn't put them in the Palm as much as you think you would.

I'm guessing you can transfer directly from the camera card to your hard drive on your Palm. Mine won't do that. If you were away from the computer and wanted to make a show of just some of the pictures on the card I guess that might be an advantage.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:43 PM   #3

I personally think that the Fuji F-10 deserves a look-see when you are considering the Nikon 7900. The F-10 is a rather amazing digital camera that can take 500 photos on a single charge, has a very high ISO capability - ISO 1600, excels at low light level and night photos, takes great day time photos, has an effective flash distance of 25 feet rather than the usual 10 to 14 feet, and it costs just $(US) 300.

There are excellent reviews of the Fuji F-10 at www.dcresource.com, www.dpreview.com, and at www.megapixel.com. I have attached a sample Fuji F-10 photo for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:33 PM   #4

I appreciate your imput, it sounds like a good camera. ¬*But I thought¬*Fuji camera'a use XD media cards, tell me if I'm wrong?Julianna
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:10 PM   #5

You seem to understand a lot about what I'm looking for.¬* I'm basically satisified with 4 megapixels, image qualiy is my most important demand from a camera and ¬*I also like some manual control.¬* What I don't like about my camera is the relatively small LCD and yes, the slow auto focus in low light is definitely a pain.¬* ¬*It doen't sound like Nikon is¬* doing much to improve the¬*7900 in a way that brings¬*it closer to SLR quality.It was just so cool when my son picked up my new LifeDrive for the first time, put in the SD from his camera¬* and it was instant slide slow.¬* I would like to take advantage of this very slick feature and it seems like such a great idea for travel.Julianna
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:37 PM   #6

"I also like some manual control."

As intriguing as the Fuji F10 is, it's basically a point and shoot camera with little in the way of manual control. Couple that with the fact that its XD card won't work with the Palm LifeDrive, and it doesn't appear to meet your needs.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote