Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:15 PM   #1

Im looking at different 5-7mp cam (these 3 being 7) can you guys tell me some pros and cons, sample pics, anything about the cameras that you can

thanx
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:51 PM   #2

I just went through the same choices and ended up buying the z750. The choice was based on my personal needs and might not reflect your needs. Those three are the pick of the litter as far as I am concerned.

The P200 is an all-round competent camera. Because of the odd shape they were able to put the flash further from the lens and it is the only compact 7Mp camera I know of other than the P150 that isn't prone to red eye. Some people complain about the 1/40 sync for flash. It allows background lighting to fill in the background a little better but is more prone to ghosts in bright lighting with someone moving. You can select anything you want in one of the manual modes though. It has manual exposure modes and some pre-set focus distances. Dave at Imaging Resource thought the in-camera noise reduction was a little high compared to the P150, but overall liked the camera.

The SD500 is basically a point and shoot. It has a powerful flash and takes good photos. There are complaints about not having a sports action mode to maximize the shutter for action. Apertures are so limited on all of them I don't think that would make much difference in bright light. It is the largest and heaviest of the three. Jeff at DCRP in comparing it to the Z750 said that if you want a point and shoot that takes good pictures out of the box at default settings get the SD500. If you don't mind tweaking the settings and want controls get the Z750.

The Z750 is a brilliantly thought out camera. It is the smallest of the lot yet has a 2.5 inch LCD and an optical viewfinder. It has manual everything including focus and manual white balance with a card. It is incredibly easy to use. The controls and menu setup is the best of any camera I have seen. The future movie is great. You just hold the camera on the scene until something happens. It records the previous 5 seconds from the buffer and continues recording until you push the button again. So you don't have to grind away waiting for the toddler to do the cute thing again or the dolphin to jump. It uses MPEG4 so takes a lot less room on the card – like ¼ the space of the SD500. The viewfinder is small and has no diopter correction. So if you wear glasses for distance vision it might not be the best choice. I find the viewfinder sufficient. It has the weakest flash of the lot I think. Auto ISO doesn't go past 100 and the P200 is rated at ISO200. So if those are what was used for the flash range the Z750 is probably stronger. That just makes the P200 flash weak though as the Z750 flash isn't anything to write home about. Definitely not as strong as the SD500.

Some of the early Z750s had the default sharpening and saturation too high. The reviewers complained about it, but it is easy to tone down. Mine didn't have the problem – it is quite subdued at default settings. There is some background noise in the movies. They say the LCD makes a whine, but mine isn't a whine. One of the tech reps told an owner that firmware was coming out soon to correct that – I hope the firmware lets you just shut the LCD down during movie recording. You can turn the LCD off but not with movies.

If you get the Z750 don't turn the auto-on feature on. The lens really pops out and you can have lens error problems if it gets turned on accidentally in your pocket. Also plan on getting a 1Gb card at least. The file size is around 4.5Mb per best quality shot and the battery runs forever. Some people have bought a 2Gb card for it. It doesn't specify a fast card for movies, but the manual says you can get dropped frames at best quality with a slow card. I think an Ultima III is excessive as I have good performance with an Ultima II. I think that is about 9Mb/sec write speed.

I was hoping someone would come out with a decent stabilized small camera. The only people making them are Panasonic and they screwed it up IMO. I would also love to have a small camera with the sensor in the F10. But point and shoot isn't my cup of tea. An having no viewfinder on a camera dpreview says the LCD is hard to see in bright sunlight would be totally unacceptable in Florida. If Fuji puts that sensor on a decently designed camera I might pass the Z750 off to another family member though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:16 PM   #3

I have had the P200 since February and am still impressed by its capabilities. We have a DSLR and I actually prefer taking the P200 over it, in most cases, because I can get great pictures without the inconvenience of lugging a boat anchor (aka the DSLR) around by the neck. IMO, even now there still isn't a camera available that can compete with it on an all-around basis. Here's a few pictures I have taken. Keep in mind they have been resized to meet the posting requirements of this site. This one is a 1/1,000th second shutter speed flash shot of dripping water. At this speed almost anything within the flashes range will be frozen in its tracks!
Attached Images

PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4

Here is a typical indoor flash shot. They key is to use the view finder as this helps to steady the camera. This shot is taken at 1/40th second shutter speed and F/2.8 in "P" mode.
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:23 PM   #5

This one is a typical sunny day picture.
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:25 PM   #6

Finally, here is one with some shaded and sunny areas. Like I said earlier, these pictures are resized. The original 7mp images are sharp and clear. Also, all the pictures are straight from the camera with no post processing of any kind other than resizing.
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:31 PM   #7

I want to post one more to show a low-light 30 second manual exposure. Not many ultra compacts allow this long an exposure time. The red trails are of a car passing in front of the camera during the exposure period. I really like using the camera for these types of shots.
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:42 PM   #8

thanx everyone 4 your help. I now have it down b/w the P200 and the Ex-750 (IMO p200 has better quality and flash, but ex-750 has more features, is smaller, and has a longer battery life)

PS, I no the p200 doesnt have fireworks mode, buit can anyone post a picture of fireworks taken with the p200. I love taking pics of them, an id really like to take pictures of some

PPS. Pic Guy, do u live in Faquier County, VA?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:42 PM   #9

one more question: is there a difference b/w the P-150 and the P-200?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:58 PM   #10

Dave at imaging resource liked the pictures better from the P150. He felt the noise reduction was a little too aggressive on the 200. But the P200 has a larger LCD and more control over things like WB and spot focus – which is handy at times. I think I would prefer the P200 overall, but noise reduction softening isn't the best.

Edit: pbase has been a pain the past couple of days. Sorry about the delay in the image. I'll just attach it.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote