Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera woul be the best choice ?
A95 1 33.33%
A520 0 0%
S5500 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:04 AM   #1

I am looking for a digital camera to take pictures on holidays, some nature etc. at first. I might take up photography as a hobby later on though. During my search I came across these three camera's as they met my wishes and the reviews I read were quite positive. I would like to know which camera is the best choice between the three. Particularly the A95 and A520 are very much alike. Thanks in advance.
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:23 AM   #2

These are all excellent cameras, the A95 has the edge in resolution and flexibility (with the articulated LCD), the A520 is light and compact but the Fuji has that big lens (with an accessory tube included for adding filters et al)and the ability to shoot in RAW mode. The only negative against the Fuji is the xD memory cards which are more expensive than CF (A95) or SD (A520).

These are all great cameras, excellent choices for someone who wants to get involved with photography yet still capable of simple point and shoot operation, the Fuji gets the edge because of its 10X zoom lens.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:32 PM   #3

Thanks so far. I heard though that the picture quality of the s5500 is less than of the other two camera's and has more defects. Could anyone tell me which would be the better choice between the two canon camera's ?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:12 PM   #4

Tequilla,

Before you give up on the Fuji, note that both of the Canons have optical viewfinders, as opposed to the EVF in the Fuji. I've yet to find an optical viewfinder that shows you exactly what the finished pic is going to look like at all zoom settings (the Fuji does). In addition, neither of the Canons have a diopter correction adjustment for the viewfinders, so if your vision is less than perfect you cannot compensate for it (the Fuji has a diopter correction adjustment).

There is absolutely no comparison between zoom ranges between the Fuji and the Canons...the Fuji takes you out to 370 mm, while the Canons are only 114 and 140 mm. If you are serious about taking nature shots, give the megazoom some serious thought...if you take a picture of a bird sitting on top of a tree with the Fuji, it will look like a bird...with 140 mm, it will look like a picture of a tree.

I don't know where you heard that the picture quality of the Fuji is less than the two Canons you are considering - I would challenge that. I'm not sure what you mean by defects...picture defects, sensor defects, lens defects - where did you get that information?

The Canons do have an advantage over the Fuji, and that is size...the Canons are compacts and the Fuji is 'SLR like'. I don't think they've made a compact with a 10x zoom yet (the lens sticks out too far).

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice rinniethehun. Could anyone tell me what the file size would be which these camera's write to the memory card in best settings and per picture ?. I'm asking this because I would like to know what size of memory card I should buy for my upcoming holiday. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:08 AM   #6

I found number of picutres per card size of the Fuji S5100. These numbers should be identicle to the 5500.
Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote