Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

Just to tell you about my need, I am not much into photography.Just think of buying a camera for family,personal use and rarely on occasions (indoor) and then once in a while outdoors as well.

I have the following two options (considering my budget and availability in market):

1. Kyocera SL300R
2. Olympus C370

I personally feel myself inclined towards SL300R for a few reasons:
- Lithium battery (as opposed to AA cells)
- its 15$ cheap than C370
- SD expansion is cheaper than C370's memory
- compact in size of home and personal use.

But i am not too sure about its quality... I went through the steve's reviewon SL300R and i find it very impressive as well. The sample pics were good as well. He has rated it very high.

The thing that i see it lacks is the missing optical viewfinder but i think shouldn't be much of an issue considering its "Fine Day" LCD monitor. Is that right? Also i am not sure about its charged battery life and if its twisted design really pleases you?

Can somebody suggest me which one to go for (from the aforementioned 2). That'll be a great help.

Thanks
bhatti81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2

Hi: I'm a little confused. There is no Oly C370 sold in this country, is it known by another model number in the USA?

I would be glad to discuss the pros and cons of each, but I need a more accurate identification of the specific Olympus model. (The onlyOly 370 model that is sold in the USA is the D-370 which is a cheap $99 entry level 1.2mp.) There are manyexcellent Olympuscameras. What is your desired price range?

By the way, Kyocerahas announced theyhave ended production of all cameras, so there will be no more new Kyocera cameras. Avoid buying them, as support and parts will become scarce. They were just not good enough to succed in the marketplace.http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05030301kyocera.asp

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:55 PM   #3

The Oly is marketed as the D535 Zoom in the US. It's strictly an entry level P&S, devoid of any manual controls and overrides. Don't expect to get any decent low light pics without flash...it's a toy.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml

I don't see any possible comparison between these two cameras...I don't know where you live, bhatti, but in the US, there's about a $200 difference in price between these two. If I was going to spend $300 on a point & shoot camera, I'd spend my money on a Fuji F10...it doesn't split in half and spin around - it just takes great pictures.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:55 PM   #4

I live in Pakistan and we don't have proper dealers over here.so the photo development shops sells these digital cameras.Various models of Olympus and Kyocera are available here.

Kyocera SL300R costs 150 Us dollars
Olympus C-370(aka D535Z) costs 165 US dollars

and then there are also other models available for olympus (in 4 MP) i.e. Olympus C-470

Yes,these are cheap prices than US.Both of them have 1 year warranty.You can ignore the warranty/parts matter...

As i said,i feel more inclined towards SL300R (for the reasons i sent earlier)but mostly the lithium ion battery fascinates me. For olympus, I Just think it would be a bit too hard taking cells in and out regularly and recharging. But for image quality and overall comparison, i seek advice from you. FYI,This is my first ever dig camera.

Btw,how is C470 for a buy? It just costs me 230 dollars which i might be able to afford if its worth it.

bhatti81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:53 PM   #5

The C470 camera you referred to is sold as the D590 here in the States. It's still a very basic, entry level camera, but IMO, the picture quality in the samples is much better than in the other two cameras you were considering.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/d590z-review/

What other Olympus models are available in Pakistan? What are the prices like?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote