Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1

Hello all, I am new here to the forums but have been looking at Steve's Reviews for quite a while now. I am in the market for an ultra-compact camera around $200 that has more than 2 megapixels, takes good distance night shots (like at concerts and parties), and can fit in my back pocket. So far, my two favorites are the Canon Powershot SD200, and the Olympus Stylus Verve. Both have good ratings from most review sites online, and are stylish and small, which are big selling points.¬*I have a couple CF cards at home, and would prefer either CF or SD (my phone takes SD cards as well so it is good for similarity), but for a case like the Stylus, I can get one for $160 and have enough for the xD card as well, so I am not necessarily limited to that.¬*Thanks in advance for all your help, I know part of the next step is having them in my hands to try out at a camera store, which I plan to do today!
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

I didn't know you could get an SD200 for under $200! The SD would be a better camera overall, as it has a few features that can come in handy quite often. It has an optical viewfinder, and a focus-assist lamp, which if I remember correctly the Verve lacks. IMO it is a no-brainer...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:15 PM   #3

Good point PhilR, I am just trying to leave my options open for now ¬*Does anyone have an opinion on the Casio Exilim EX-S100? It goes for about the same prices ase the SD200, but it is smaller and also has good reviews from most places.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:28 PM   #4

The Verve S has 4.9mp and a weatherproof body vs. the Canon's 3.2 mp and no weatherproofing. Max resolution of 2560 x 1920 vs the Canon's max of 2048 x 1536, and the Oly has 6 resolution settings vs only 4 for the Canon. I don't agree that the Canon Choice is a "no-brainer".

(and IMHO the looks of the Verve score much higher on the "COOL" factor!)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:44 PM   #5

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
The Verve S has 4.9mp and a weatherproof body vs. the Canon's 3.2 mp and no weatherproofing. Max resolution of 2560 x 1920 vs the Canon's max of 2048 x 1536, and the Oly has 6 resolution settings vs only 4 for the Canon. I don't agree that the Canon Choice is a "no-brainer".

(and IMHO the looks of the Verve score much higher on the "COOL" factor!)

Slightly more resolution and weatherproofing won't help a bit when taking night shots/parties, which is what the OP wants to do. A 0.8mp difference is insignificant, and since the OP didn't state the need for waterproofness, that feature is insignificant as well. What *is* significant in this case howeveris that the Verve's lcd does not gain up, and has no optical viewfinder, both of which will very likely hamper the OP's ability to take pics where he/she wants.

Then again, I guess if the OP decides to take his night/party shots while standing out in the rain, then your postmight be helpful....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:32 PM   #6

That Olympus Verve is a good little camera, but I would go w/the Canon S200 just for a little more zoom and SD card over XD.

Still can't figure why Olympus, Fuji and Sony bucked the trend of SD (like ALL others use). Especially with manyelectronic devices coming out with SD as the format for expansion (.mp3 players, Audi cars, etc...).
Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:34 PM   #7

That little Casio S-100 would be seem to be decent for the price as well as others have stated.

Prices on the internet could serve you well. Check Pricehead, Pricegrabber, etc...

Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:28 PM   #8

I still haven't decided yet, partially because everyone here has had good things to say about all of the cameras I'm looking at. Sorry to dig up an old thread btw.I am thinking about waiting a little longer until I can afford the Casio Exilim EX-Z57. The style of the 2.7" screen just got to me, and it is only another $100 for 2 more megapixels and a .7" bigger screen. Does anyone have an opinion on the Z57? This site has said good things about it, as have others, and it is considered a real value for the features.Thanks again for all of your help making it a little easier to weigh my options here...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:57 AM   #9

the casio S-100 is on sale this week at Circuitcity.com for $209.
Falcor200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:45 AM   #10

The Canon Powershot SD200 is $205 here.The Casio Exilim EX-S100 is $190 here.The Casio Exilim Z57 is $296 here.Steve's Digicams reviews asy that the Z57's huge screen does not gain up. I am not entirely sure of what that means, but will it hinder night indoor photography at all?My gut instinct is to go with the Canon because it is a trusted name and Powershot cameras have reputations for being exceptional in all regards. But The Z57 is so cool with such a huge screen. Are there any cameras in its price range with screens that large to compare it to?Thank you in advance¬*