Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

After messing with both the Fuji F10 and SD400/500 at the store, I think I like the Canons because of construction (save the battery cover), view finder (out in the cloudy sun, it was difficult to use the LCD), macro seemed equally good and operation seemed to be more intuitive…funny since the Fuji was similar to my Fuji2600…and of course the SD card. The smaller LCD on the Canon seemed to have better resolution and therefore better. Both had super fast zooms, hard to tweek. A second battery pack for the Canon (120? shots per charge, charge ~ 1 hour) is less than $40, offsetting the longer Fuji battery life. Now I need to decide between the 400 and 500.

Why spend the extra money on the SD500? I had a difficult time telling the difference between the shots in the excellent shootout.
http://www.dcresource.com/specials/...500/index.shtml
Can someone point out other practical advantages to the SD500 over the SD400? I do do some cropping. Are there any dissatisfied owners of the SD400 out there?

Thanks, Nancy

ramspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:14 PM   #2

I remember reading the reviews for these two models on a different site, and the conclusion is that because the 500 has a bigger sensor and better lens, that it takes slightly better pics. The 500 also has a much more powerful flash (I think the stats listed in this site's review for the 400 are incorrect), which can make a big difference if you shoot a lot indoors.

If you don't need the extra flash range, you might do just as well with the SD300....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the input Phil. I am going to have to find more info on the sensor size question. I don't understand the meaning of the published 1/2.5" CCD for the 400 and the 1/1.8 CCD for the 500. Sounds like the 500 is smaller to me. ( This probably belongs in another thread). I really had a hard time seeing much difference in the sample shots in the shootout sited above, megapix wise. The more powerful flash would be helpful. $80 helpful? I don't know.

Nancy
ramspot is offline   Reply With Quote