Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:51 AM   #1

My girlfrield is looking for a digicam, and being the technical type I'm helping her.
She's a happy snapper, so there's no need for fancy adjustments, 10x zoom or superhigh sensitivity. It has to be cheap (not more than €120), but we *are* looking for a proper digicam, not one of those webcams-plus-memory or Creative digicams-for-kids.
We found the following options:
-HP PhotoSmart M22 @ €99. Read the review here, seems rather good for the price.
-Kodak EasyShare C300 @ €89. It seems to have the numbers, but I can't find a review anywhere for the life of me. Does anybody know anything about this digicam?
-Vivitar Vivicam 3788 @ €99. Small (and li-ion powered), but... you guessed it... no reviews anywhere. Just the blurb on the site, which leads me to believe it's either an italian-only product (in which case I can forget finding any useful info in a short time) or one of those rebadged digicams, probably made in china and sold under a thousand and one different names (in which case I'd be glad to find out some other brands that sell it and that might have gotten a review). This one seems to have the numbers as well, but the lens seems kinda tiny. I fear it might use a CMOS wemcam sensor or crap like that.

We would be thankful for any help finding more data about those two digicams, opinions and other options
Violet sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:18 AM   #2

Hi - I hope you don't mind me hijacking / joining in this thread, but I have almost identical requirements and was about to post the same thing.

Some relatives of mine are looking to go digital, and I want to recommend something cheap and easy but good for printing with a 3* zoom. They are not technically minded or great photographers, and something super-tiny would probably be a bad idea as they would fumble with the controls!

NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:16 AM   #3

A friend of mine recently got a fuji a205. 2mp 3x optical, easy to use, and cheap. One of steve's one-of-the-best-in-its-class cameras. If you can still find it. Made in 2003

Claims he gets better pics with his <$100 camera than relatives with their expensive ones. If only because they have trouble operating their expensive equipment.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:08 AM   #4

Id be looking at the Olympus, Fuji and Canon models in that price range. They have good lens and produce good pictures for the price. For that price, you will be able to get 4MP and 3,4 optical zoom in a compact shape.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:39 AM   #5

Hi there, i just bought all 3 of my kids a new digital camera for their birthdays. I too was on a budget, but wanted a camera that was easy to use and took great pics. Two of my kids got a canon a400, what a great little camera. Built solid, easy for them to use, and excellent pics. My older daughter, not wanting the same, got an hp m307....ok camera, pics are pretty good, but no comparison to the canon...Got the canons for 185 canadian and the hp for 120 canadian....Good luck

sharon:-)
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:05 PM   #6

I had thought about the Fuji A305, but it is, as far as I can see, impossible to get it new. I could probably find it used on ebay, but my gf doesn't want a used digicam, because she doesn't want to run the risk of it breaking two minutes after getting it.
The Canon A400 looks nice, but it's a tad on the expensive side (lowest price I found was €150 for the cam and a 256 meg SD, and we'd have to buy batteries + charger too).
Violet sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:37 PM   #7

Go to: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...892720-9119861

It the UK Amazon.

It's a Kodak CX 7530. I bought one for my parents when I visited HK.

Good pictures, easy to use, fairly sturdy.

5 megapixels, 3x optical zoom.

99 pounds.

Go for it
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:07 PM   #8

Hehe, I had come here to say that I had checked out the kodak easyshare CX7330.

It has great reviews, good features, all for £99 at places like Jessops and Argos plus all the online places (obviously I'm in UK).

I hadn't seen the CX 7530....will check it out to see what the difference is.
NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:42 AM   #9

Refurbished Fuji 2650's are selling on eBay for around $70 including shipping. These cameras have a 90-day warranty as opposed to a one-year warranty when they sold new. Otherwise, they look and perform as new. I bought a refurbished 2650 for my mom a couple of years ago and a short time later bought one for my niece and another for my nephew. My brother bought one for his daughter about a year ago, also. To this day, all the cameras have performed flawlessly and all my relatives love them. In my opinion, the Fuji 2650 is head and shoulders over the HP, Kodak, and Vivitar cameras you mentioned.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:47 AM   #10

My opinion would be that you'll get the best pictures from the Kodak in the budget end of the market. The only thing is they aren't built for too much abuse. I still have a Kodak DX3600 I keep as a backup and it has taken some fine pictures. Very easy to use too.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote