Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

Kodak v550 vs. Sony Cyber-shot T33 vs. Nikon Coolpix S1 vs. Canon Powershot SD400

I've set up this form in order to compare the pros & cons of the new "deck of card" sized cameras in the $400 price range w/5 mega pixels, that have come out in the past 6 months. Specifically I'm interested in comparing Kodak v550, Sony Cyber-shot T33, Nikon Coolpix S1 and the Canon Powershot SD400.

I realize that the majority of these cameras will be used by people more interested in capturing a moment at a bar than framing that perfect shot for a calendar. However, these cameras do have the ability to take ‘calendar' quality photos as well as their user-friendly versatility in taking shots, and it's these features that I'm most interested in.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Kodak v550 b/c it has both the 2.5" screen, a view finder, 30fps video, and 20 different shot modes. The above mentioned cameras do not have one or more of these features.

Despite these differences, what camera produces the best quality photos? Fastest shutter speed? Most reliable? Most user friendly? Etc.

Essentially, of the above 4 cameras what do people recommend and why?

Thanks!
HorizonBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:10 PM   #2

The Kodak does have a viewfinder, which seems to make it unique among its competition, although optical viewfinders aren't usually accurate in depicting what the finished picture will look like. I was unable to find a decent professional review of the camera (at least written in English). Some Kodak cameras have gotten really poor reviews for picture quality in the past, so I would wait until some unbiased reviews come out before I considered buying one.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why you aren't considering the Fuji Z1?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:25 PM   #3

I'm in the same boat. Looking at ALL the subcompacts out there. Talked to a Nikon rep. at a Best Buy and he showed me around the S1. Like it very much, especially the face priority and easy scene menus. But lesser qaulity video will probably keep me away from it.

For Sony, you should look towards the T7 as it is newer and a slight improvement. Though can't stand Sony going proprietary with their Memory Stick cards. That is also why I would stay away from Olympus and Fuji with the Xd cards, though not as annoying as Sony. Sony has so many versions of their Memory Stick and compatibilty across the cameras (and some of their TVs) isn't great.

Love Canon as I am currently using my first generation digital Elph S100. Tough as nails and takes a great shot, even if only a 2mp. Like the SD400 and SD500 but no sports scene mode or snow/surf type mode (may be wrong on s/s). Also menus are less obtrusive than the others, which also makes it harder to navigate.

The Kodak looks like the best digital (other than much larger) Kodak has put out. Has all the options you, me and most could use. Though few places have it yet and the price reflects that.

I am personally leaning towards the Pentax Optio S5z. Wife has one of their 35mm and it has always done the job well. All the features of the others in a nice small size comparable to the others. No reviews online yet, which is the same for the Kodak.

Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:18 PM   #4

Like most consumer I'm loyal to brands that I've used in the past. Therefore I'm leaning more towards Sony, Cannon, Nikon and now Kodak versus the Fuji. I also consider Fuji to be poorer quality. Of course that's just my opinion.

I'm also trying to keep the price at $400 or below which rules out the Sony T7. Nikon & Kodak also usememory cards & batteries that are cheaper than Sony.

Haven't looked at the Pentax Optio S5z yet. But just looking briefly online, it looks like it has many of the same features as the above cameras. Did they just release this one? I can't find too many reviews?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:40 PM   #5

Have you considered the Casio ex-z55? That seems to get really good reviews. I'm torn between the Canon sd400 and the Casio. Any opinions?
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:53 PM   #6

With the Pentax S5z, haven't seen any reviews as of yet. It is pretty much an upgrade of the well-reviewed S5i with better ergonomics and video.

That and the Kodak V550 are what I'm waiting for review-wise. They both seem like winners in the sub-compact class. The Pentax will probably stay cheaper...
Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:51 PM   #7

I'm looking at a similar camera range. But you have strange choices - you have to decide if you want one with internal lens (like your selection of T3 and S1) or not.

If you want the internal type - well I'm looking at the Finepix z1 and the new Samsung Digimax i5, which comes out right now. Both superior to the T3 and S1 for similar price.

If you want an extending lense and viewfinder, then the v550 looks good, but also check out the Casio z750, amongst others.
NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:45 PM   #8

What's the difference between an internal lens & an extending one?

Not sure about the Casio. I've never considered Casio to be a quality brand in the digital camera category. Plus it only has 15fps which means that any video you record is going to be a bit choppy. It does however, have both a viewfinder & a 2.5" LCD screen which only the Kodak has right now.

Any thoughts on how important it is to havea viewfinder? Basically the two arguments in favor of one is the ability to save batter life (by turning the screen off) and on bright days the screen is hard to see b/c of the glare. Other than that I don't see the advantage other than personal preference.

Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:54 AM   #9

Wrong - the Casio z750 has 640 * 480 30 fps... the video is one of its best features, and the camera gets great reviews. It also has a buffer, which means that you get to record 5 seconds worth before you pressed the record button - could prove useful!

Internal and external...I can only speak aesthetically - just look at Steves review pictures for the relevant cameras. Technically I think the internal ones struggle a little with lower light and flash etc, so if internal dark shots is your thing you should go for a decent normal lense.
NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:02 PM   #10

NBee wrote:
Quote:
Wrong - the Casio z750 has 640 * 480 30 fps... the video is one of its best features,
In addition to the deficiency of being unable to optical zoom during video, I just noticed a defect in Z750 video - it will produce rainbow fringes when shooting densely parallel stripes of high contrast.

I found that at least in the official Casio website of the "Windmill" video "CIMG4118.AVI". Notice the roof top of the initial house behind the girls, and then the body of the windmill.

Another sample video with a guy wearing a "prisoner's T-shirt" (black/white stripes) approaching the camera, it seemed as though the guy was a superman "radiating" intense rings of rainbow fringes out from his chest.

I've tried my Kodak V550 zooming in and out across many items with stripes, but w/o such problem.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote