Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:28 AM   #1

Hi!

I had a Canon A70 and loved it, but it died.

I have a 2 year old and need a new camera fast and have read many reviews.

Still confused though. I am looking at these:

Canon A510 or 520

Coolpix 4600 or 5600

Canon PS S2

Sony Cybershot H1

Big ranges I know!

First do I really need a camera with a 12x zoom? My daughter is 2, so we take casual pics indoors and out mainly of just her.

Second, how many megapixels? I print 99% of the time 4x6.

If I don't need the zoom, it is hard the cannons have a 4x zoom but the coolpix have more megapixels-uggg.

Any other camera reccomendation would be great. My only requirements are that it will fit my need: mainly 4x6 pics, taking pics of toddler and family events indoors/out, rarely take vacations

Again, I don't think i can go for more than tomorrow without a camera-yes, I am "one of those Moms!"

Thanks so much for any help in advance!

iluvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:58 AM   #2

If you loved the A70, then the A510 is the logical replacement. You should love it, also. Three megapixels will easily meet your needs.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:14 AM   #3
Administrator

iluvmini wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I had a Canon A70 and loved it, but it died.

I have a 2 year old and need a new camera fast and have read many reviews.

Still confused though. I am looking at these:

Canon A510 or 520

Coolpix 4600 or 5600

Canon PS S2

Sony Cybershot H1
The A510 is going to be the closest to your A70 (it was designed to replace the newer A75).

There are some differences. For example, the A510 only uses 2 AA batteries and flash recycle time is likely to be slower than it was with your A70. It also uses Secure Digital media (your A70 used Compactflash).

I'd read the review Conclusion sections herefor cameras you consider. That's where you'll see information on things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliability, shutter lag, cycle times between photos, viewfinder usability, etc.

Then, I'd go down to a store and try out the cameras. Many stores have demo models for this purpose. That way, you can see for yourself how responsive the cameras are, make sure you're comfortable with the ergonomics, control layout, menus, etc.

You'd also get a better idea of how much optical zoom you may want/need by trying them out (since I see some ultra zoom models on your list).

Quote:
Second, how many megapixels? I print 99% of the time 4x6.

Don't worry so much about the megapixels when comparing cameras unless you need larger prints. I've printed plenty of 8x10" prints from a 2 Megapixel camera (but, 3 Megapixels is a little better at this size).

For 4x6" prints, even a 1.3 Megapixel camera is going to give good quality (provided the camera's image processing, lens, etc. is good). Megapixels are only a small part of what makes up image quality if you're not printing at larger sizes (or don't need to crop your photos much).

At this print size (4x6"), chances are, you couldn't tell the difference between a 2 Megapixel Model and an 8 Megapixel model unless the 2 Megapixel model had better lens quality, color accuracy, etc (in which case the 2 Megapixel photos may look better). ;-)

You may find an 8 Megapixel model that takes terrible photos, and a 3 Megapixel Model that takes great photos. A lot of things are needed to make a good camera (lens quality, color accuracy, speed of operation, etc.). Unless you plan on printing at larger sizes, more megapixels is not something I'd take too seriously.

You really need to compare image quality on a camera by camera basis (and in the conditions you'll be using one in). Most cameras take OK pictures outdoors. But, indoors many tend to struggle (Autofocus Speed and Reliability, Flash Recycle Times, Viewfinder usability, etc.).

Again, read the Conclusion Sections in the reviews here to get a better idea of how they compare. Also, make sure to try them out ina store.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote