Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:03 AM   #1

I currently use a Nikon N65 SLR and would like to purchase a digital camera. My price range is about $500.00 or less. I know I probably won't be able to purchase a digital SLR but would like to know your reccomendations for my intended use and price range.

My needs are:

1. I need to be able to post pics on the internet in 1024x768 with high quality.

2. I need to take pictures with as little lag time in between shots as possible. Not neccesarily action shots where it automatically takes shot after shot but I don't want to be waiting on the camera in between each shot.

3. My primary shots with the camera will be people and motorcycles.(No scenery shots)

What would you reccomend. All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel
Dcanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:46 AM   #2

Given that you already have a Nikon body and therefore probably lenses I'd suggest looking at the Nikon D50. Although it may be out of your price range.

The resolution you want for the web isn't an issue as it's less than 1 megapixel so just about any camera will give more than that.

The DSLRs give the fastest response time from pressing the shutter to the camera taining the shot and the fastest shot to shot times.

That said the fixed lens digicams are getting better and closing the gap.

Whether shutter lag is likely to be a problem depends on how fast the bikes will be moving.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:12 PM   #3

If the pics of motorcycles will be racing shots, then you probably need to narrow your search to the ultrazoom category. If you can walk up to your subject, a 3X/4X optical zoom camera will fill your needs. I would look at the ultrazooms in either case. As Steve mentions in his reviews of them, they certainly add to the "fun" factor.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:40 PM   #4

The bikes will be stationary and not moving. I appreciate the advice. I did go and look at a Nikon D50 and I do like it.

Any MB would be fine for my desired shot size as stated by Nagasaki. That is a big relief.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:32 PM   #5

The D50 looks like a cool camera if you've already got Nikon lenses.

The Canon Rebel XT is another serious contender, but it obviously uses different lenses.

To be honest, it's difficult to "leverage" your film lenses because of the cropping effect. Your 50mm prime on your 35mm camera becomes an 80mm on your digital.

In the end, most people end up having to buy a wider angle zoom that what they probably have in their film kit.

But anyways, the D50, D70S, Rebel XT; so many nice cameras to choose from!

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:35 AM   #6

Thanks for your input Terry. I truly appreciate it.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 5:40 AM   #7

Terry's right about the cropping effect but I disagree about the leverage of 35mm lenses. I did buy a 12-24 wide angle zoom with my D70 but I still use my 28-80 zoom which is now roughly equivalent to a 35-120 zoom I use my 50mm macro which is now equivalent to 75mm so I get the same shots without getting as close and my 100mm is now a 150mm macro. If you use telephoto the digital crop factor means that all your lenses are given a greater magnification which for many is a bonus.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:10 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the input. I have been out looking at the local shop and when I decide what one I am definitely going to get I wil let you all know