Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:46 AM   #1

Just learned as I went, beginning on 2mp HP:shock:then reading on Steve's site and bought Z1 Dimage,nice camera but ready to upgrade to 5-8mp less noise,artifacts, better analog/digital transfer (cleaner) even if up to 8mp choice.? Some motion involved in shots in mid-air. Like Pro-Sumer to best Enthusiast camer choice in $500-$750 range..I tried demo of Sony DCS-H1 and colors were not as good as I hoped and some artifacts..Maybe I need more time with it, but delay when taking picture of 2-5 seconds out of doors.

Like to learn techniques on water reflection & plexiglass, but may not work on 6-8 foot kites? On PGlass

Guess good way to show subjects I'm taking photographs &mpegs (with Panasonic PV-GS250 ) but looking for upgradefrom Dimage Z1 (nice zoom at time), ok choice 1.5 years ago but dated technology nowadays.

http://community.webshots.com/user/icenum

Thanks-Just begun to learn more:-)

dan442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to seeing the results and your opinions on whatever you decide on.

If you are interested in the H1 you might also look at the Canon S2 and Panasonic FZ20.

The S2 has the high quality movies and is quite good but doesn't have a hot shoe. If you don't think you need an external flash it is probably your best alternative since you are interested in taking movies of the kites.

The FZ20 has a hot shoe but the movies aren't up to current standards. An automatic flash unit can also be a bear to use in low light because you can't see to frame. It is a half stop faster at full zoom, which would generate more shutter speed on cloudy days for kites in flight.

A polarizer is your best bet for the static shots for reducing reflections off the kites and water. It does slow your shutter speed though. No need to pay extra for a circular polarizer for any of those cameras. A linear polarizer works just as well and is generally cheaper.

The H1 comes with a filter adapter. I think you can just remove the dress ring on the S2 and add the filter adapter – you might want to confirm that on the Canon board. The FZ20 lets you screw a filter right into the end of the lens hood, but you need a larger filter than on the other two I think.

The Nikon 8800 is the only stabilized super zoom that offers 8Mp. It is almost two full f-stops slower at full zoom, which uses up most of the advantage of the stabilization and requires slower shutter speeds for your kites in flight. It is a very good camera with all the bells and whistles.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3

I would recommend moving up to a D-SLR if you can afford it.

Even if you get the old digital Rebel, or the Rebel XT, or the Nikon n50, they all have a really good sensor that will give you awesome results.

I checked out your photography examples and it's obvious to me that :

a) you're pretty good photographer

b) your subjects are colorful (kites)

So go for the gold, and upgrade to a D-SLR. You won't regret it.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4

Even if you get the old digital Rebel, or the Rebel XT, or the Nikon n50, they all have a really good sensor that will give you awesome results.

-- Terry
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

-- Terry
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6

On the Rebel you spoke of, better choice the Rebel (original) or the Rebel XT, and how good a choice would the lens with the camera be until later when I could evetually upgrade? So many models out there of the Rebel..

I'm reading about a second generation chip versus the first generation Sensor, also reading about a Rebel of 6mp for +$200 you get 8mp original+. Curious if the second generation offers less noise. i'm sure it would hold its value (8mp)if ever (when I guess better put)deciding to upgrade later with 8mp, just deciding 6mp,8mp Rebel or XT? Guess this been raked over coals a while lOl..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Looks as if the Canon Rebel or XT, the XT maybe of course less $, may be my choice.

Just finding reliable place to order as I try to steer clear of camera on Auction Sites.

Slipe

"A polarizer is your best bet for the static shots for reducing reflections off the kites and water. It does slow your shutter speed though. No need to pay extra for a circular polarizer for any of those cameras. A linear polarizer works just as well and is generally cheaper."

Were do I find this?

Thanks Much

Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:47 PM   #7

Have you looked at the Olympus C-8080? (8 mpx.) or the C-7070? (7.1 mpx.) Both have a hotshoe and are highly rated, plus they have a wide lens. :|
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:54 PM   #8

Choice

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT w/ 18-55mm AF Lens -

Ok lens? Looking to order from reccomended dealer on this site on Review..
Old Jul 2, 2005, 5:27 PM   #9

I would recommend B&H Photo Video. Just type the name into your browser.

Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:49 PM   #10

Thanks Terry ordering t'morrow as some are closed today..(Glad they let them off for holidays)