Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:14 AM   #11

wco81 wrote:
Quote:
I'm also drawn to the Sony because of the form factor, LCD and the burst and movie modes.I think the claim is one full resolution image a second on the T7?Do the other models let you shoot 640x480 movies as much as there is storage?Does any one brand have better warranties than the other?
The Casio S500 lets you record 640 X 480 @ 30fps until the card is full. But it will hold four times the movies in the same space due to using the more current MPEG4. And you would find the past movie mode very handy.

The S500 will probably do a shot a second also, but I don't really consider that a burst mode. It will do about 2 shots a second for a while if you go to a lower Mp, assuming it works about like my Z750.

It also has a useable flash which the T7 doesn't. And it uses SD cards rather than the pricier Memory Stick Pro. Of course you can buy the T7 today and don't have lens extension issues and do have a higher quality LCD. I think you would find the flash very limiting though. And f3.5 isn't very good for available light indoors either.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:40 AM   #12

Hmm, that's interesting.* I know Sony has that M1 model which also supports MPEG4.Movie mode isn't that big a deal for me.* Guess the flash should be cause for concern.* That is the tradeoff for size I suppose.Don't have a big investment in cards so the format isn't that big a deal.* I understand Memory Stick Duos cost more but my understanding is the faster SD cards are around the same price.Plus most retailers now are giving you 256 MB cards, which should be good enough for most excursions (battery life seems to be good for about 200 shots).The other thing is as a Sony Visa card holder, they are offering a bonus on points through the end of July.However, the way they keep cranking out the T models, I have to think in about 6-9 months, they will have something better.The Casios that are out in the market could be had for under $300 before shipping, according to the links Steve's has, compared to maybe about $450 for the T7.When is the S500 due to hit the market here?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:45 PM   #13

Quote:
When is the S500 due to hit the market here?
I have no idea. Retailers are already taking orders, but the don't give an estimated shipping date as they usually do. I guess they don't know either. They just say "soon".

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:12 PM   #14

S500 has been around in shops Hong Kong for more than a week. I heard it even earlier in Japan itself. Mayb georgraphy?
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:12 PM   #15

Check out my review of the Kodak v550 in the Kodak forum:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
turbodub_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:08 AM   #16

a review of the s500 anyone?
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:01 AM   #17

I'vejust bought de S500! Haven't had time to explore it yet. but i will... soon... :|But it sure is sleek and the pic's quality's great!
cahayamataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:54 PM   #18

HI! there a two reviews of the casio s500:
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...094000p,00.htm
http://reviews.cnet.com/Casio_Exilim...?tag=pdtl-list
schnubbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 1:01 PM   #19

Interesting.CNet gives the S500 a 7.0.And it gave the T7 only a 5.8.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:01 PM   #20

Check out this review of 11 ultra compact cameras !

http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/575/

Btw, I own the older model of the "winner" and love it!
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote