Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum.I'm looking to buy a ultra compact 5MP digital camera.I've been lending towards the Kodak until i read a thread on this board about the S500, I guess the only drawback to the casio is no optical zoom during movie mode but I don't think I'll need it that often.* Price wise, I believe the Canon and Kodak are the cheapest with Sony T7 being the most expensive (on top of their ridiculous memory).I'm not a professional or anything...I dont think I can tell the noise and all that stuff.....any opinion on these cameras would be appreciatedthanks guys
cashrevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2

Welcome to the board.

The T7 has too puny a flash IMO. 5 feet at wide, decreasing in range with telephoto just isn't enough for anything but head and shoulder shots.

You don't seem to need an optical viewfinder based on your choices, but I like having one. There are times when it is hard to see the LCD in bright sunlight and it is easier to acquire a target quickly with the optical finder.

If you want a really tiny sexy camera with no optical finder, the S500 has a useable flash and I don't see anything else the T7 is superior at. Casio makes good use of the permanent memory rather than provide a throw-away starter card. The dpreview specs show an 8.3Mb card included, but I am pretty sure that is the internal memory. You can store a large permanent photo album in the internal memory to show on the nice LCD.

The future movie mode is great. You can wait for something to happen and then press record. It records the previous 5 seconds and continues recording until you stop it. So you don't have to grind away waiting for the toddler to do that cute thing again or for the fish to jump.

The SD400 has a viewfinder, which I find very handy. It is a competent camera that takes good photos. Some people complain that there is no sports action mode to maximize the shutter speed and there is no other way to force it. I don't think that is a really big deal unless you photograph a lot of fast moving subjects.

The Kodak looks great but I haven't seen a good review. I like the large LCD plus a viewfinder. If you travel a lot the dock might be a little hassle to carry for charging the battery. I think the Casio is the same. It has more permanent memory and also lets you store a permanent photo album in it. It looks like a very nice camera. I think I would want to see a good review to make sure there aren't any hidden traps, but I think it would be my choice of the litter if the size suits you.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3

Hey thanks a lot.* You've been very helpful.* I went into bustbuy to check these cameras out in person. They didn't have the Casio.* I felt the Kodak is a little too large for me...so at the store, I considered the Canon and the Sony...of course, I really don't want the sony because of their memory card...sony needs to get their head outta their butts and start realizing they wont succeed when they want to create everything under their format.anyways, right now i'm lending towards the SD400 Canon, but I still havent' seen the casio yet.I remember looking into cameras last year when i worked at circuit city, the casios are so slick but I believe the only drawback at that time was casio not having burst mode......does the S500 have this now?* If it does I think I might just buy the Casio, of course, after looking and feeling it in person first.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4

I didn't see anything about a burst mode in the Casio boilerplate. My Z750 doesn't have anything anyone could consider a real burst mode. It has a nifty little special control whose symbol looks like the standard burst symbol, but it just puts you in continuous mode or another that will take shots really fast, but not at high quality.

I found this mini-review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1830975,00.asp
What he says about the movie mode is true. It takes only about a quarter of the space with MPEG4 with no apparent loss in quality.

Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:42 AM   #5

On the memory card - I'm even less thrilled by the xD cards Olympus and Fuji put in their cameras. They jointly hold the patent. SD has become the standard small card and xD is a dead end. You can at least use the Memory Sticks in Sony camcorders.

But I did buy an Oly C50 three years ago. It really irritated me to pay extra for a dead-end card, but the camera was unique at the time I bought it.

But the card was really married to the camera. I am about to pass it on to my kids and the card stays with it. It would have stayed with the camera had it been SD or CF. The only disadvantage to having it was that I could look at the pictures from my other camera in my Palm Tungsten, but the xD cards don't fit in anything but Oly and Fuji stuff. After doing it a couple of times I decided it wasn't that much better than just using the camera LCD and quit doing it. My CF card has never left my old Minolta, My SD cards have never left their respective Palm, Panasonic and Casio except for one short experiment and the xD has never been out of the Oly.

If you buy a camera you will likely get a 512Mb card for it at least. Unless you have a fast SD card lying around I don't see where it is a big deal. You will likely put the card in the camera and leave it there. Memory Stick Pro isn't a lot pricier than fast SD cards – and you do want a fast card if you intend using the high quality movies in any of those cameras.

If you are just voting with your feet in objection to an arrogant company that doesn't want the electronics world to have any standards but their own I'm all for it. But as a practical consideration a $20 difference in the camera cost would offset your memory cost with probably a few cents left over. And I don't think most people commonly swap the things around a lot. By the time the camera is obsolete the card will be too slow for the new stuff. I'm probably not principled enough to pass up a camera I really want to make a point. It wouldn't be a problem with the T7 though. A camera needs a flash and the T7 doesn't have one for all practical purposes.

Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:55 AM   #6

thanks, very very helpful.i'm liking the S500 more and more the more i look at it :Xdo all burst/continous mode shoot in lower quality?i guess i don't really need the burst mode, i just thought it would be a useful feature to capture some action like sprinting/iceskating/ski/snowboarding stuff
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7

All burst modes are not low quality. The Casio is a fast camera and needs a decent buffer for the past movie mode. I have no idea why they don't have a better burst mode on it.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:58 PM   #8

i really just wanna see the casio in person, where can i find it?*bestbuy dont have it, does CC? or is it not out yet
Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:58 AM   #9

not out in US yet.

can buy in the UK,but havent seen it in any shops yet.only on websites
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:45 AM   #10

I'm also drawn to the Sony because of the form factor, LCD and the burst and movie modes.I think the claim is one full resolution image a second on the T7?Do the other models let you shoot 640x480 movies as much as there is storage?Does any one brand have better warranties than the other?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote