Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:30 AM   #31

JFW-

The histogram is a very effective photographic tool. I use mine all the time. It is well worth delving ing to the info contained on the CD with the digital camera. Or, just get a basic photography book, and you will probably be amazed at how much information can be derived from the histogram.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:06 PM   #32
JFW

Hey there,

Yes, I intend to look more thoroughly into the histogram and as much else as I can get my brain to lock onto..

I'm starting to feel that I want more control over the camera.. so I definitely need to figure out how to work the manual controls.. I've just got to get the correct CD-Rom, so that I can. Also, I ran across a tutorial at the Olympus site.. either way, I've got to learn more about controling the beast. It drives me nuts that the camera won't always auto-focus in 'sub' standard lighting conditions (ignorance on my part?).

more later, j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:19 PM   #33

No doubt that the Olympus C-5500 offers the "best bang for the buck"...if I didn't need to buy an xd card, I probably would buy it without a second thought. You can read my recent posts - I was very, very close to buying it from 6ave.com for $209 - according to resellerratings.com, they are indeed a reputable company. Here's the link -

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=C5500

Back to the discussion at hand, I did do some research into the C-5500 and was VERY impressed with its specs - it's one of the few compacts (other one being the yet to be released Canon A610/620) that uses a 1/1.8" sensor, has 5x Optical Zoom, USB 2.0, Amazing MACRO (2 cm!), Great Movie Mode (not my priority so don't recall exact specs), and HISTOGRAM !!! Btw, officemax has a $10 rebate this week on Olympus 256 xd card, and a $15 rebate on the 512 Mb....Oh, and one small reason I didn't buy it - I prefer lighter, longer-lasting proprietary batteries.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:44 PM   #34
JFW

Yes, I think that had I had the C-5500 available, I'd a probably purchased that over the C-770.. for feel and speed issues... I have actually touched one now and wouldn't mind spending a little more time with it. I like the feel of the 'box' better..among other things...

I'm still looking for a C-8080.. asI said, I like to touch and feel before making a purchase. Having to deal with returns would be too complicated for me...

Thanks for your input..

j:bye:
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:06 AM   #35

Seems you are a diehard 'olympian'. Otherwise there are excellent competitive entries from the stables of Canon, Pansonic and Fujifilm. JMO. And please don't cut me in two for suggesting something out of Olympia.:G I am sensitive like Super CCD from fujifilm.:blah:
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:24 AM   #36
JFW

not necessarily 'diehard', but it is what I know and I had no complaints with the last one.. and it is what I had available to me when I started looking.. I saw and held a C-7070 which seemed really cool and then learned about the C-8080 which sounded really cooler, but living where I do, I don't have the models available for inspection. So, I chose what I thought werefour of the best that were avaialble to me and away this process went. It came down to a decision between a Canon G5 and the The Oly...I went for the zoom.. but almost went back and traded it in...

I am interested in quality images.. I know who isn't... and Oly for the price has seemed to be the 'best bang for the buck' (pardon the cliche' again). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I can take it...

I'm still looking. I'm hoping to actually find a C-8080 in a store somewhere.... oh, my 35mm cameras are Pentax and Nikon... there are some places I feel I wouldn't go, but still need more research to totally eliminate the products from my considerarion.. So, if you know something totally too hot to handle, by all means, bring it on!

thanks,

j:bye:
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:58 AM   #37

In short zoom, compact 'take anywhere' pocketable or 'pursable' category canon S80 seems to have evrything except presence in the market as of now. other very good options seem to be Casio exilimZ750 and your 'also ran' F-10.

In 'take anywhere but not in the pocket or purse' category, FZ-30 and S2IS beg for attention with all thebells and whistles with fastaction, fast lenses etc. Out of the above I have used none but a younger brother of FZ-30 that is FZ-20 which had a really sharp,bright and fast lens.

Ha! I hope I haven't increased your already unusually high daily quota of info-harvesting. I, on no account would like to create more 'computerorphans' than is necessary.:-)So please be gentle while prying away the little fingers of the young ones from their beloved mouse.:|
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:57 PM   #38
JFW

I just spoke to a amera store and they are bringing a C-8080 into the store from Santa Barbara for me. The price sounds great ...$499.99 (the tax thing is bothersome, but I'll write that off as the 'shipping charge'.) I'm still looking though....

I've looked at the Panasonic (PZ-20) some and just couldn't fall in love with it. I don't know why, really...

The S2 I have looked at a tadbit, as well...

Like I said before, the price issue kind of led me to the Olympus... besides my previous satisfaction with my C-3000 (which mysteriously vanished from my car.. when we were discussing that we'd forgotten to take the camera out of the car)

Anyhow, if the C-8080 doesn't work out, I'll be taking a closer look at the other available models... or I might just take a break for a while. I really do have a life....

more later, j:bye:
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:47 PM   #39

Glad, you are going to get what you wanted. Happy clicking!:|
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:38 PM   #40
JFW

I'll keep you posted.... thanks j:bye: