Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:40 PM   #41

I have a "feeling" that you will be THRILLED with the 8080 as it is arguably one of the best cameras EVER
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:48 PM   #42

even though it has mediocre movie capability and only medium range zoom?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:59 PM   #43

YES! As long as he is looking for a Digital Camera (vs camcorder) that takes Incredbly Sharp and Detailed Pictures ! Was that a serious question even?

wise wrote:
Quote:
even though it has mediocre movie capability and only medium range zoom?
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:50 PM   #44

You can never go wrong with Olympus.:!:
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 5:39 PM   #45
JFW

Yo wise,

For the lens and capabilities that this beast (C-8080)has, the 'loss' of megazoom and videoain't even an issue... I am more interested in a still camera that produces quality images.

Incidentally, if you read back through this thread, you'llfind that I picked up a C-770 for a great price ...so, should I need the zoom or video... I have it there.

Honestly, I don't think I've looked into the video on the C-8080...not recently anyhow...

But thanks, anyhow, for bringing those issues to mind.

And thank you Kimnicho and HornOUBet for sticking up for the Oly!

More later,

j:bye:

JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:57 PM   #46

Hi JFW,

I never intended to discourage you from going for C-8080. It was just that it seemed to me that there were other options too. Any way once you have fallen in love with a camera what is there for me (or for that matter, anybody) to do but to wish you a very happy and long relationship with your beloved.

All the best and happy clicking:|
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 5:26 PM   #47
JFW

Hey there Wise,

No offense was taken. I was just reading my 'quickly written' response to your comment.. and on second approachI could have come across as defensive (or offensive). It wasn't meant to be, I assure you. Sometimes, even with the emoticons, there just ain't a substitute for a face and sound in a conversation...:-)

I appreciate any and all input - for the most part... I know there are several good options in the camera department. I just figured, given everything I have read, and the price, I can't go wrong with the Oly... that is unless I don't want to take the time to learn how to properly operate the beast.

Fell free to express your preferences and your reasoning... even ifI stick with the Oly, I'm sure someone would benefit from yourresearch and experience.

Thanks for your input.

Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:28 PM   #48
JFW

Well gang, I did it.

I bought the Oly C-8080. It doesn't seem too large to me. It does feel good in the hand.And boy, oh boy, does it start up quickly. It was difficult to check much else out - myentourage chose today to go bonkers...

I look forward to playing with it. We shall see how things progress. By the time I got it in hand, it was difficult to concentrate too terribly much. I made sure the zoom worked, and I shook it lightly to make sure there weren't any loose parts.. Nothing fell off... so I guess we're ok.

At the outset, it doesn't look too terribly complicated (I guess having had Olys before helps), but then again,what was that about my capacity to think at the time????

Funny thing... as much as I have been reading and looking, by the time I got it in my hands, it wasalmost anti-climactic... I guess there is something tobe said about the journey...

Now, with that said, the camera does feel reallynatural in my hands, and I feel like we're going to be quite happy together.

I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for all of your input and suggestions.. I appreciate the time and energies it took to respond to my "issues".

Thanks, j:bye:

Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:57 PM   #49

Hey JFW: Welcome to the world of C8080!

My best advice to you isto immediately download the CD with the PDF file of the camera's 230 page manual. You will be surprised how many options, etc that are not obvious from the camera menus. Plan to spend some quality time reading your computer screen.

I've had mine since April, and it can still amaze me. This camera has caused me to put my plans for a dSLR on hold; I just don't see the need to spend the money, because I don't think the quality would be any better.

Anyway, enjoy you new camera. Feel free to ask us if you have any questions.

Good luck,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:42 PM   #50
JFW

Hey there Seteven R,

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't imagine reading a book on a screen and I remember reading on a nother thread that someone took the CD to a Kinko's type of place and had them print and bind the book for them.. So, I may look into that. It looks like I might have a few extra days here... I'll play with it some and might even post some shots for some input.. or something...

Thanks for your assistance along the way.