Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:24 PM   #51

Hey JFW: Believe it or not, but the PDF file is a great way to study the manual. Use the Adobe Search Function (the binoculars), and type in the subject or phase you are looking for. It's much quicker than a manual search, and it returns all the hits and page numbers for the whole manual. Not only that, but you can easily adjust the print size so you don't have to strain to read it; try doing that with a copy from Kinko's!!

Oh, by the way, be sure and try out the "direct histogram" function. I think it beats the heck out of using the standard histogram. Try it and let us know what you think.

C-ya,

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:31 PM   #52
JFW

Thanks again, Steven R,

I'll trythe manual in PDF before I attempt a print out of the beastie.

Direct histogram? Regular histogram? This is a new animal for me, altogether. I've read a little bit, and having a scientific background I can relate to the gragh idea, but getting the full meaning of it, I definitely need to do some reading... but once I figure out what a 'direct histogram' is, you can bet your boots, I'll check it out and play around with it.. assuming my children allow me the time. I don't ever remember seeing one of those things on my K-1000...:blah:

Thanks again. I appreciate all of your continued help and support.

until later, j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:37 PM   #53

For an example of both the regular and the direct histogram found on the C8080:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olym...80wz/page7.asp

(For some reason, it was not covered in Steve's C8080 review.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:30 PM   #54
JFW

At very cursory view.. it looks like a built in spot metering device. I have lots to learn. And it's more than just the natural feel for light that is too hot...but, even that is coming back...Thanks so very much for the link...

I've been a bit preoccupied with trying to get back home and with Katrina. So, I haven't played too much with the camera... I did a little readingand put the pieces together, but not much else... I need to check it out at least a little before I depart.. Maybe tonight and tomorrow.

later, j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote