Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:10 PM   #1

Hi everybody,

first of all... my english is not very good... I'll try to ask my question the most clearly as possible...

All of digicam i've tried (not SLR or SLR-like) have something how "arrasing me"... With little cam... you can't take a picture without wait for the focus or the flash... Sometime I take picture... I press on the bouton to take the picture and it's take like 1-2 maybe 3 secondes to take the photo... That's is very frustrating when I want to picture WHEN I press on the bouton... like sport shot or something fast...

For my budget (under $500cad (like $350usd)) I've see the Fuji S5100... is this a good choice?

I don't know if you know what I mean... if not... I'll try to be more readable...

Thanks,
Lawrence
LawrenC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

The shutter lag on the S5100 is 1/10 second when the camera is prefocused and 6/10 second including autofocus time. You can buy it in the U.S. for $199.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:09 PM   #3

yeah but I live in canada... :S

And do you think S5100 is a good choice for me? I want to take pics of all thing... Close-up (macro)... sport shot... people shot.... nature shot... all...

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:39 AM   #4

Does Dell sell in Canada? The Dell web site is whereI saw it for $199. That is after rebates. I would suggest you ask S5100 owners in the Fuji forum what they think about their cameras. It would be a good idea to read Steve's review of the camera and the reviews at dpreview.com and imaging-resourse.com, also.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5

ok thanks, I read both review... But I have a question still there...

Every cam I've tried... after the mid-course (for focus, adjustement ,etc) you press the bouton max and its take like 2-3 secondes for the real image been save on the stick...

It's very dificult to me to explain what I want in english... hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks,
LawrenCe
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:23 PM   #6

Hi: For your budget the Fuji S5100 is an excellent choice.

Shutter lag is a fact of life forcameras in your price range.

To reduce shutter lag, press your shutter button half-way to lock the focus on your subject, then compose and shoot. Also, it is a fact of life, that it takes a few seconds for the camera to write thephoto to it's memory card; it's a similiar function to saving a file in your home computer; the larger the file, the longer it takes to finish. The S5100 does have a buffer to allow burst mode shooting, so you can shoot 3 quick shots before the camera writes to the memory card.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:28 PM   #7

Yeah but on my old "pentax" with a film... (not digital)... this lag dosn't exist... You press half-way for the focus and automatic adjustement... and when I press completely the pictures is took right there... with digi cam... I do the same thing.. and I need to stay at the same place for 2-3 secondes more after I shoot the picture...

So....

Thanks for reply!
LawrenCe
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:41 AM   #8

Even when you pre-focus a shot, the camera still has to calculate exposure - unless you are shooting in manual mode. My camera (Dimage 7hi) allows me to manually focus, and set exposure and WB manually. When all this is done, shutter lag is not noticeable to me. The EVF/LCD does blank for the duration of the exposure, but will allow another shot immediately as long as the camera buffer has sufficient space. I think the Fuji is similar in these regards.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote