Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:36 PM   #1

I currently own a Canon G3 (didn't buy it for myself, it was a gift), which I like a lot - the picture quality is great and it's relatively easy to use. I never sat down to figure out how to use most of the bells and whistles besides the movie mode. In fact, I have no idea what most of the letters on that dial on the top mean. I probably should have cause I'd be a much better photographer and I wouldn't have to be posting this right now... * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Anyway, the G3 is too big for my upcoming backpacking trip, so I'm looking for a smaller camera (definitely no bigger than the A95). I'm used to using Canon, but I really think I want a very user-friendly camera. I ordered a Fuji F10 because I take a lot of indoor photos of friends and I've read that the F10 does really well in low-light situations. When I got the camera, I was disappointed with the night and indoor shots I took, and I just didn't feel comfortable with the menus and such. Maybe I'm just a hopeless amateur, but when I got my G3, I was impressed with the photos right off the bat, without changing anything or reading the manual. I don't mind a camera having manual controls, as one day I might sit down and figure them out, but I don't want to have to mess with them to get good pics.* * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Can someone reccommend a relatively small camera that is easy to use and takes great pics? I want at least 4MP and 3x zoom, as fast as possible so I don't miss any 'kodak moments'. I will be using it both indoors and out since I'll be visiting friends at college for a few weeks before I leave for 5 months in Guatemala (lots of landscape/city pics). I'd also like the camera to be able to take clear (non-blurry) photos w/o a tripod.I really appreciate any help you can offer - I've done a lot*of looking, but I'm quite indecisive, and I don't trust myself to choose after the F10 incident.
gator4ever07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:35 PM   #2

get the nikon s2: http://nikondigitalusa.com/main.html
or the pentax optio wp: http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...bsection=optio

the optio wp is cheaper, but the nikon s2 is alot better.

check out some photos of the s2's younger brother, the s1: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/coolpix_s1

btw the black one looks really cool!
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:48 PM   #3

Since I'm travelling, it's a bit of a pain to have to carry a cradle (for the S2), but I could deal with it if I liked everything else about the camera. Is it possible to charge the battery outside the camera?
How much more expensive ais the Pentax WP than a comprable camera that is not waterproof? I'm not particularly looking for one that is waterproof, but I might be willing to pay a bit extra for it.
Does the OptioWP use a cradle?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Optio S50? What about the Sony W1?
gator4ever07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:59 PM   #4

Check out the Kodak DX7630, or DX 7440,theyare compact,fast, large 2.2LCD screen, incredible color, & clarity,6 or 4mp, and reasonably priced.

See this recent thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote