Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

I need an advice. I am looking to buy a pocket-size camera. So many choices. First, I narrowed them to the cameras with more than 5 megapixels: Canon SD500, Casio Z750, Sony P200, Fuji F10. Then, I dropped the last two because of the two reasons:

1. Sony and Fuji don't use SD memory cards. So, once I buy Sony, I will have to purchase a memory stick. And, a 1GB pro stick is very expensive. So, I see myself buying Sony cameras from that point on to justify the investment into the memory stick. The same goes for Fuji F10, which uses XD card. If you are on a trip and need to purchase a memory card, you can always find SDand CF cards in local gift shops but not memory sticks or XD cards.

2. P200 and F10 are quite thick for a pocket camera.

So, the choice boils down to Canon SD500 or Casio Z750. Both use the same 7mp sensor from Sony. Most reviews agree that Canon SD500 has a better image quality, comparable or even better than that of an SLR (excluding low light situations). It also has a better flash. But Casio Z750 offers manual controls, better movie mode, 30 autosettings, and longer battery life. To be honest, I wouldn't know what to do with the manual controls. And, I don't care about the MPEG4 movie mode either. But the battery life is important. Also, the 30 auto settings can be handy for a novice like me who does't know how to select an aperture and othercamera settingsdepending on the situation.

Any comments about these two cameras? If you got one, are you happyabout it? What made you buy your camera? Is the cracked LCD of SD500 really a problem?
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:19 PM   #2

Well, for number 2

Sony P200=1.0 thick

Canon SD500=1.1 thick

Casio Ex-750=0.9 thick

Fuji F10=1.2 thick? (w/out projections?)

(these are off the top of my head, someone correct me if im wrong)

So if you are basing it on the thickness, you should add in the p200 and take out the sd 500. However i dont know how much difference.1 inch makes to you

I was choosing b/w the SD500, EX750, and the P200 and i think im going with the ex-z750

here are the factors that i used

SD500

-heard about easily cracked screens

-movie takes up A LOT of memory

-most expensive of the lot

-no action mode (i dont think)

-worst battery life of three

P200

-too long (4+ inches in length)

-less features than other two

-still thinking

Ex750

-weakest flash (though flash assist helps)

-large picture file size

-oversaturated pics (but you can fix it by putting the saturation on -1)

-basically need cradle to do everything (not a big deal for me)

But out of the z750 and the SD500 id pick the z750 personally

afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

Thank you, afro_ninj4.You are right, Sony P200 is only 1" thick (so is Canon SD500). And, I can buy it for about $100 leass than SD500, which I can use to purchase that memory stick. So, I am adding Sony P200 to the other two as a possible purchase choice. Now, theselection is more difficult: Canon SD500, Casio Z570 or Sony P200. I am sure, somebody will add Fuji F10 to this list, siting that it is only 1.1" thick, costs about $100less than SD500 (to pay for that XD card) and has a nice ISO1600 capability for those low-light shots.Then Iwill beback where I am started. So many choices.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A question to the owners of F10: when you take shots in ISO1600 setting, do you have to use a tripod or hold your hand very still to avoid bluriness?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4

gpwr wrote:
Quote:
A question to the owners of F10: when you take shots in ISO1600 setting, do you have to use a tripod or hold your hand very still to avoid bluriness?
Now, I just got my F10 this week, and am a novice myself...but I will say I've been playing with my new camera quite a bit and have had some good photo's come out of the 1600 ISO without a tripod. Of course, I'm not going for professional photography...just stuff that I think looks good. Perhaps it depends on your perception.
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5

Quote:
when you take shots in ISO1600 setting, do you have to use a tripod or hold your hand very still to avoid bluriness?
The reason for using the high ISO is to avoid blurriness or the requirement for a tripod. With higher ISO you can shoot in lower available light without a tripod or blurriness.

The F10 has a great sensor and lens. I'm not a big fan of either having no viewfinder or pure point and shoot. But if that is OK for you it is a dynamite little camera.

I don't know how big you are into post processing, but the P200 is the only camera of the group that isn't prone to red eye. The long shape let them put the flash further from the lens. The others are red eye machines. If you don't mind post processing out the red eye it isn't a big deal.

The P200 has manual exposure, and unlike the Z750 has a meter of sorts and a live histogram in manual exposure. It has some fixed focus distances, which in some ways is at least as good as the full manual focus on the Z750. The small sensor size makes those presets pretty good for most work because of the large depth of field.

The SD500 is point and shoot, but it has a viewfinder. LCDs can be hard to see in bright sunlight and it isn't as easy to acquire targets when zoomed in dynamic situations. There isn't an action mode and no way to force the aperture full open so you get maximum shutter speed for a given lighting. I doubt that is a really big deal as the programs usually generate a sufficient shutter speed before opening the aperture. It takes pretty good photos, but doesn't have any resolution advantage over the Z750. The F10 is slightly higher than either even though it has a 6Mp sensor.

A digital camera is a great learning instrument. You can take an almost infinite number of pictures with different settings and get immediate feedback. You might find manual settings instructional.

It was a tough choice for me between the P200 and Z750. I went with the Z750. It has a great control setup and some nifty features. I'm quite happy with it.

afro_ninj4 doesn't seem inclined to read or acknowledge the question he asked about the flash, but you can. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=14 The flash is quite competent. There is a long thread on the subject on dpreview and others have gotten similar results. Some seem to think a lot of light in the scene attenuates the flash. I'm going to do some tests next week to determine whether that is true and, if so, whether using spot metering so the camera doesn't see the lights would avoid that. Some cameras test their flash range at auto ISOs that can be up to 200. The Z750 seems to have been honestly tested at ISO 100, so the numbers don't appear that great. But the flash works fine.

I thought maybe it was the fireplace in the photo being bright, so I got someone to hold the end of a tape measure and shot them in the dark at 15 feet. They came out quite well without flash assist. The flash isn't an issue with the Z750. It decreases if you zoom, but so do all the others except maybe the Panasonic FZ20.

Here is a size comparison of several of the cameras. The F10 isn't in the list, but is just a tad larger than the SD500.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:40 AM   #6

Thank you everybody. Very informative. I don't mind postprocessing images to remove the red eye. But it is nice that Sony P200 doesn't have it. I also was impressed that F10 with its 6mp sensor has a better resolution than the 7mp SD500 andZ750. However, other reviews give lower number of vertical and horizontal lines than Steve's results. I also looked at the test shots in dcresource.com and I saw more detail in the pictures taken by SD500 and Z750 than those taken by F10. But the night shots taken by F10 are amazing!

I had Canon Powershot S50 in the past and I found that some corners of the images it took were out of focus when shooting landscapes. I don't know if there is a technical term for that effect (corner bluriness?). I didn't like it, but otherwise that camera took great pictures. Can anybody who owns the SD500, Z750, F10 or P200 comment on whether they saw a similar problem with their cameras?
Old Jul 4, 2005, 9:26 AM   #7

gpwr wrote:
Quote:
I had Canon Powershot S50 in the past and I found that some corners of the images it took were out of focus when shooting landscapes. I don't know if there is a technical term for that effect (corner bluriness?). I didn't like it, but otherwise that camera took great pictures. Can anybody who owns the SD500, Z750, F10 or P200 comment on whether they saw a similar problem with their cameras?
www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php was helpful in my search. They have a bluriness test (look for a grid mark on the review page).
I think Steve also customarily does the same, so you might want to search through his reviews.
For myself, I haven't noticed any bluriness, and the F10 was rated pretty high for barrel distortion as well. Unfortunately, those things are quite common in compact cameras.
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:40 AM   #8

double post-oops
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:46 AM   #9

slipe wrote:
afro_ninj4 doesn't seem inclined to read or acknowledge the question he asked about the flash, but you can. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=14

sorry- i didnt see your post till this morning, but your pictures helped a lot, thanx! Seeing as i probabaly wont use my computer much to edit, i think the flash assist will be sufficient for me. Im glad the flash range is better than the advertised one.

as for the f10, i dont really no much about this camera but the only reason i wouldnt get it is because the lack of a viewfinder. Just a personal preference, and the fact that i take a lot of outdoor pics, so i wouldnt want the lcd to get washed out when i was trying to take a pic and then have no other way of taking one. But different ppl have different needs so this may or may not apply to you

for the sd500, its just a little to expensive for me and doesnt have some features of the casio but a great camera

and the p200, its a great camera but one, its to long to comfortably fit inMY pocket, and 2,it doesntseem to have all the fun little features and effects of the others

Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:44 AM   #10

Corner sharpness seems to drop off a little in all small cameras. I think the Z750 drops off slightly less than the SD500. I think the Z750 is pretty sharp across the field.

I had a little Pentax S4 I used until I damaged the LCD and it wasn't worth repairing. It had much softer corners than any of the cameras discussed here and a little vignetting at wide angle as well. I never took a picture I thought it detracted from. It would be very apparent if you were copying something like a map. But the old pros often purposely softened and darkened the corners a little to give the photos more appeal. If you like to look at the photos 100% and do a technical critique it would probably be irritating. Even though the prints look OK and they are fine for display it is like having holes in your underwear – you know it is there.

This is the dpreview resolution chart that includes the F10 along with comments. The lens has almost no barrel distortion at wide, which is really unusual for any zoom digicam and especially one so small.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote