Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:09 PM   #1
bjh

An experienced SLR photographer, I have been using an Olympus C-50 for a couple of years.¬* It has lots of functions etc. but I'd like more versatility and quality.My choice has come down to one of these.¬*¬*My pictures fall mostly in the travel category¬* (landscapes, people, some macro, etc) and the usual day-to-day photos.¬*¬*

As you can appreciate, I already have 4 x 256 MB xD cards which I can use in the Olympus as-is and in the G6 with an $80 CDN adapter.The G6 costs $170 CDN more than the C-7070 and I'd have to buy a CF card: but then I'd likely buy a large capacity card for the 7070 too!

I should mention that I like the faster lens on the G6 and might enjoy the wider lens on the 7070.¬* ¬*Also, it appears that in the G6 one does not have to delve into layers of menus as often to switch among modes and functions.¬*

The¬*G6 stitch-assist seems more friendly than the Oly though with my C50 I sometimes stitch successfrully without using the panorama mode (which is only available on Olympus cards, not the Fuji cards).

Reviewers seem to think the G6 image quality is better.¬* Also, as with the 5060, reviewers seem to think that the 7070 colours are rather flat (though others say saturation etc. can be changed from the defaults).

A rather long-winded request for opinions on the Olympus 7070 vs the Canon G6. Would the G6 be worth the extra costs?

Thanks muchly,
B.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:04 AM   #2
JFW

Hey there,

I am in the same process, myself...

I saw your question and know I read through a few threads with the same or similar questions... try this one... If I can find the other one(s), I'll paste those as well. This should get you started...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ghlight=C+7070

Also... you could try to search this forum for C-7070 and/or G6 and see what all you come up with.. of course you may have done this already.

Good luck with your search. j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:09 AM   #3
JFW

one more thread...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ghlight=C-7070

gambatte! j
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4
bjh

Thanks for your help, JFW.¬* ¬*I, too, am an Olympus user from way back and was all set to pursue the 7070 when I saw the G6.¬* Never had a Canon before.¬* With my first digital it was between the Oly c50 and the Canon s50; Oly won because it was more balanced in my hand,¬* not as long.

I'm leaning towards the G6 for the same reason - they've made the camera shorter and more balanced and this time the Oly is bulkier. I'm not a big wide angle buff and the faster lens seems good. I'm going to try the Canon panorama next to check it out.

Switching brands is always a little scary!

Thanks again,
B.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:39 PM   #5
JFW

Hey there B,

I hear you... my last one was an Oly C-3000.. someone felt s/he needed it more than I did and it was gone... The idea of switching brands is a difficult one....

I just recently started the real search to replace it. I'd avoided itfor some time because I anticipated the headache. I am leaning towards either the C-7070 or C-8080... something that recently caught my eye was the Oly C-5500.. and they run about $225. I've been toying with the idea of picking that up, so I havesomething to shoot with, while I make my final decision.

Good luck with the search. There is lots of wonderful information to be had on this site.. and the reviews are extensive..I still have quite a bit of catching up to do, just to keep up with them... but I have learned quite a bit in the last few weeks (transfering my 35mm 'knowledge' to digital...)

Thinkin on it, someone suggested going to the camera store, buying small cards for each of your camera choices, and just start shooting as many different things are you can with the two cameras. Then take the cards home and compare the picturesto see which one fits your needs/desires best.

gambatte! j:bye:

Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:21 PM   #6
JFW

Check this out... some really awesome shots..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=22

j
Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:26 PM   #7
bjh

Hi again,
Another helpful tool: I downloaded the operating manuals (.pdf files) for both cameras from the Olympus and Canon sites. I can study the different methods for setting functions I like to use. Time consuming but quite edifying.
I created a spreadsheet listing some of the specs and methods and showing which I think I prefer. Now I have to try some of these like you suggest.
I hope all this effort is worth it! or is it just muddying the water even more! When it comes right down to it, we choose emotionally anyway!
Cheers,
B.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:33 AM   #8
JFW

Hey there again,

Being the overly analytical type, myself, I question whether or not I'd have done just as well to have pulled an 'eeny meenie miny mo..' and justbought something off the shelf. (My gut was the Oly C-7070.. and I'd have spared myself all of this... aaaargh!)(But then, I wouldn't have found this website and learned as much as I have) I've been avoiding downlaoding the PDF manuals, but perhaps, it is an overdue task... good idea...

One of the thoughts that runs through my head as I am running through the stats is 'how much difference does any of this make?'.. am I going to be able to see the .05% increase in color saturation that camera A has over camera B? In the real world, how much am I really going to be able to see the difference ..unless I sit with the two shots side by each and scrutinize with a magnifying glass.. (I admit, I'm picky about picture quality.. I was observing pics from one of the 'ooh aaah' cameras.. and wasn't overly impressed...it stilllooked flat to me...maybe I'm hopelessly 35mm).

We'll both end up with our slightly emotional, although highly justified with charts and reason, choice cameras and be happy campers regardless of which one it is... Perhaps, that doesn't help you feel better... It doesn't do much for me LOL

My dilemma is "Best Bang for the Buck?" in the same forum...

I was very happy with my Olympus (C-3000), but I don't imagine Canon is any slouch of a camera.. I just know that the Olympus ischeaper... my checkbook always has a say... but you might take a look at the accessories, if that has not already been covered. If you intend to buy filters and conversion lenses and such, you might take the cost of those into consideration... just another thought...

good luck with your continued search. Sounds like you're almost done with your search. I can't imagine that you will displeased with either one you select.. at least that is what everyone tells me..

Don't forget to breathe! j:bye:
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:29 PM   #9
bjh

Hi JFW,¬* Well, I did it - bought the Canon G6 and very pleased.¬* (Canon Canada lowered the price by $50 CAN last week) .¬* It has more accessible options through buttons and one-step menus whereas the Olympus C7070 uses deeper menus which I found frustrating on my little C50, expecially when the light was too bright for the LCD monitor.¬* Also, faster lens, longer zoom, good manual included (not just on computer), good ergonomics, slightly smaller and doesn't look as fancy (theft protection?).¬* ¬*Anyway, just thought you'd like to know.¬* Thanks for your input,¬* Bjh.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:39 PM   #10
JFW

Congratulations on the purchase.

Let us all know how the break-in goes for you. I'm sure there are people here who would appreciate the first-hand account.

I'm still in the decision stage, but will -hopefully-get to see some of the cameras I have been reading aboutin the next few weeks.

I happenedto find the the G5 and Oly C-770 on sale (yesterday)for about US$230. It was a tough call, but I decided to grab the Oly (opted for zoom at this point). This should keep me going until I can get a more serious look at the other cameras when I get back stateside... I hope they haven't all been discontinued.... :?

Good luck and great fun shooting.j:bye: