Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:50 AM   #1

which of these two cameras should i buy? does the casio allow you to zoom in and out whilst using the movie mode?

thanks for you help
transcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:19 AM   #2

other posts on the s500 suggest you cannot use the zoom during movie mode.

but best to check with someone who actually has one i guess
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3

Given a choice of only those two the Kodak would be the hands down winner for me. You get both a 2.5 inch LCD and a viewfinder. The LCD has excellent resolution and it has a great burst mode.

I have used both cameras the reviewers said the LCDs were good in bright light and ones they said were difficult to see. They are all difficult to see. With an optical finder you get a beautiful crisp view and can quickly acquire targets in dynamic situations even zoomed. One caveat though, if you wear glasses for distance vision the viewfinder looks to be small and doesn't appear to have a diopter correction. It might not be that useful for someone who is nearsighted and wears glasses. It would be fine for anyone who wore contacts though.

There is an enormous difference between a 2.2 inch LCD with 89k pixels and a 2.5 inch with 230k pixels. Kodak claims their LCD is easy to see in bright sunlight, but unless it is transreflective it is probably "relatively" easy - meaning still hard to see.

The Kodak has a 3 frames per second burst mode that is good for up to five shots. I find a good burst mode to be handy for several things. You have a much better chance of getting that perfect moment in the shot in dynamic situations. And shooting in limited light without the flash you can brace the camera well using the optical finder and squeeze the shutter with a burst. There is a good chance one of the shots will hit a null moment in camera shake and give you a sharp image. Small Casio cameras don't really have a burst – at least my Z750 doesn't. It appears from what I have read that the S500 is the same.

Both cameras have internal memory rather than coming with a useless throw-away card. The Casio lets you store a photo album in the permanent memory. The images stored are for the LCD and small, so you can store a very large album of you favorite shots. Other Kodaks also let you use their much larger (about 4 times larger) internal memory for a photo album as well, but I didn't see it in the V550 boilerplate. My guess is that it has that feature as well. It would be a nicer feature on the Kodak with that large high resolution LCD.

Both have high quality MPEG4 movies. The Casio has a feature I love called past movie mode. You can wait for something to happen and then push the record button. It captures the previous 5 seconds from the buffer and continues to record until you stop it. So you don't have to grind away waiting for something to happen.

The Casio is smaller, but you pay for that with a smaller low resolution LCD and no viewfinder.

I haven't seen a good review on either. I wouldn't personally buy one before reading some good reviews that might point out some hidden traps or shortcomings. Things like low light focus and actual battery life can be significant. There might be some small quality difference if you are one of those people who blow them up to 100% so you have to scroll around to see the picture on your monitor. But I would doubt you could see any quality difference printed at say 8 X 10 or full screen on a monitor. They both use quality lenses. And without some good standard sample shots I couldn't guess which would produce the better images.

The Kodak boilerplate says you can zoom during movie recording, but they don't specify that you can use the optical zoom. If it is digital zoom during movie recording like the Casio it isn't a good substitute for optical zoom. You will probably have to wait for a good review to determine that. My guess is that they would have specified that you can use the optical zoom during movies if you could – most cameras offer digital zoom but there aren't very many that let you optically zoom.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:39 PM   #4

transcable wrote:
Quote:
which of these two cameras should i buy? does the casio allow you to zoom in and out whilst using the movie mode?

thanks for you help
I owned a Kodak V550, and have tested Casio S500 in a shop. As you know, V550 can zoom during video. S500 cannot zoom optically during video, but only digitally. That's consistent with their spec on the web. A plus of S500 is it can zoom in during review of the videos. But I consider this feature too fancy, beyond practical usages.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:47 AM   #5

one thing that helped me rule out the Kodak is its size...when i saw the thing in bestbuy, its hugei think the casio is much smaller, i think it has similar dimensions as the Sony T7, which is absolutly slim
cashrevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:29 AM   #6

thanks for all your replys and thoughts, swaying towards the kodak v550,think Iwill wait a few weeks for some reviews.
transcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:13 PM   #7

Check out my review of the Kodak v550 in the Kodak forum:**http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
turbodub_6 is offline   Reply With Quote