Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:15 AM   #1

Hi,

I want a 12x camera. I use it mainly for taking plane photos or scenery.

Thank you.
hp4700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:08 AM   #2

There are a lot of cameras that will match those criteria.

Sony H1 costs a bitmore (in South Africa anyway),and the S2's specs are a little bit better. (mainly faster shutter speed, better burst mode)

But the H1 comes with battery charger, and 4 rechargable batteries. S2 not.
The sony also uses the fiendishly expensive Memory stick pro. (twice the price of same side SB memory card that the S2 uses)

I think the general consensus was that the H1 has VERY VERY little less noise than the S2.

I chose the S2 for myself recently, mainly because of the more expensive memory card that the H1 uses, the fact that I already have a battery charger. I dont know if I will ever use a shutter speed higher than 1/1000, but I like the option.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:44 AM   #3

Both are very good cameras. Memory sticks are not nearly as expensive as some people would like you to think. That may have been the case several years ago when sticks were more expensive and had smaller capacities. Now memory sticks are only $5-$10 more at most sizes 1gb and below.Check any of the major internet retailers...Best buy, Newegg, etc. The S2 probabley is the better choice for sports or action photos due to better continous focus and faster shutter speeds. However for indoor or low light the Sony wins with faster auto focus and better flash. Your best bet is to try both out and see which one works for you.

Also the H1 only comes with 2 batteries not 4, so you should factor in the price of another set.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:06 AM   #4

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
There are a lot of cameras that will match those criteria.

Sony H1 costs a bitmore (in South Africa anyway),and the S2's specs are a little bit better. (mainly faster shutter speed, better burst mode)

But the H1 comes with battery charger, and 4 rechargable batteries. S2 not.
The sony also uses the fiendishly expensive Memory stick pro. (twice the price of same side SB memory card that the S2 uses)

I think the general consensus was that the H1 has VERY VERY little less noise than the S2.

I chose the S2 for myself recently, mainly because of the more expensive memory card that the H1 uses, the fact that I already have a battery charger. I dont know if I will ever use a shutter speed higher than 1/1000, but I like the option.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Actually, in Hong Kong S2 is more expensive than H1. The difference is about HK$290.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:09 AM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Both are very good cameras. Memory sticks are not nearly as expensive as some people would like you to think. That may have been the case several years ago when sticks were more expensive and had smaller capacities. Now memory sticks are only $5-$10 more at most sizes 1gb and below.Check any of the major internet retailers...Best buy, Newegg, etc. The S2 probabley is the better choice for sports or action photos due to better continous focus and faster shutter speeds. However for indoor or low light the Sony wins with faster auto focus and better flash. Your best bet is to try both out and see which one works for you.

Also the H1 only comes with 2 batteries not 4, so you should factor in the price of another set.

Thank you very much for your opinion.

I think I should try them before purchase.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:09 AM   #6